Carl Riseley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Articles from Print Media.

+10
Altair
Kim
laceyface
cmcrae0
mumsafantoo
kespax
amanda-renee
Kris
ambercat
Admin
14 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Re: Articles from Print Media.

Post by ambercat Wed 20 Feb 2008, 10:33 pm

Angeo wrote:
ambercat wrote:Oooh!! Thanks for the pic Angeo!! He does look gorgeous, even if he has got his shirt on!!! Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Naughtyidol Woudn't it have been nice though if they could have done a shot of him like that awesome one from Womans Day where he is sort of semi lying down on a cushion with red velvet and he's in a suit and gazing at us with his dreamy eyes... That is my fav shot of him.... Maybe if he gets a bit further in the competition they might take more shots? Ooooh lets hope so!!! Very Happy

Where do I get to see that shot Cat? *drool, drool*

I know this pic is on the forum here somewhere but I'm blowed if I can find it!!! So here you are angeo...I'm sure you would have seen it already, but I'm also sure you won't mind looking at it again!! Razz

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Swingking

And yes thanks Kim for the article!! Cleo is having its advantages...he's getting more publicity for his album hey!!! Very Happy
ambercat
ambercat

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Thu 21 Feb 2008, 12:07 am

This was another Cleo Top 50 Bachelors thing! I thought maybe it might have been an interview or something about his upcoming album, but I guess it is a bit early for that.... So here we have Carl arm wrestling with another Cleo bachelor! I love Carl's very quiet but funny comments!! Before they start, he says "Muso against life saver...you're in trouble friend!" hahaha!!! He knows he doesnt stand a chance!! Mind you, I thought it was a bit unfair as the guy he was going against was standing up when they arm wrestled which meant he would have had his whole body weight behind him!! Carl hon, I reckon you would have given him a run for his money if he'd been sitting down as well!!! lol!! There was another tiny bit where they asked what is it that they look for in a girlfriend and Carl said she would need to be friendly. I thought that was so nice.... I reckon thats what holds a lot of relationships together...being mates is really important I reckon... I love you

Anyway, here is the vid!

ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Idol star praises blowhard Holden (Carl article)

Post by Kim Thu 06 Mar 2008, 6:46 pm

Here's a new Carl article I found today! Very Happy

HE'S back to blowing his own trumpet but former Australian Idol favourite Carl Riseley was singing the praises of dumped judge Mark Holden yesterday.

The swing king, who was recording a moody new video for his first single at Sydney's Victoria Room yesterday, told Confidential he'd miss the man with the touchdowns.

"I feel privileged now to think I got one of his last touchdowns but I'm sure there are people out there who are happy to see him go," Riseley said.

Holden's advice helped the navy bugler's performance, he said.

"It was hard to see at the time but he was very good with me and made me open my range."

While Riseley missed out on the top spot in last year's series, the Sydney-based jazz singer won a contract with rival Universal Music and will release his debut album, The Rise in April.

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 0,,5922189,00

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23324875-5006002,00.html

Too bad they spelt Carl's name wrong under the photo Rolling Eyes So, has the album name now changed to The Rise?

Kim

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://kimu-sama.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Another Carl interview on his album

Post by ambercat Mon 14 Apr 2008, 11:18 pm

Here's another article from citysearch Darwin... I'll just post the Carl interview parts... Very Happy

http://darwin.citysearch.com.au/music/viewContent/1119945819841/1137583451078

"I am so proud of this album," Riseley says. "I can't wait to just put it on my shelf at home and just stare at it! It's an unbelievable experience making an album, having so much control over my arrangements was fantastic."

Considering it's an album of covers, it's fair to say that it's about the only way he could control it. The fact that it is a covers album (featuring jazzed up tracks the like of Bozz Scaggs's Lido and The Carpenters We've Only Just Begun) doesn't bother Riseley in the slightest. "I have only been singing for a few years and haven't sat down and written any originals properly. I know my fans love hearing what I can do with songs. Originals shall come next time round anyway ... no need to rush."

With Idol's John Foreman helping out ("John has been so involved with the album. It was great"), it seems that Idol inadvertently influenced Riseley's jazz-direction. "When I was auditioning for Idol," he says, "people were telling me, 'No! - sing R&B, or sing rock ... they don't want to hear Jazz.' Well, I want to get across that If you feel in your heart you should do something even against all odds, GO FOR IT!"

As for the future for The Rise, it seems he's simply excited to be in his position. "The album is out April 26th and then I'm touring in late May and June, and just can't wait to get it out there. I want everyone to be able love and relate to this album in any way or form."

Dinner-party patrons, get ready to grab your copy on 26 April.

Mikolai, April 2008
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Sat 26 Apr 2008, 5:43 pm

An interview with a Perth mention .... yay!

http://perthmusic.norg.com.au/2008/04/26/carl-riseley-interview/

Twenty-five year-old Carl Riseley has always had music in his veins. Carl played the trumpet throughout school, but it was only towards the end of high school that he really felt he could make a career from his talent. When a good friend joined the Royal Australian Navy as a trombone player, Carl was inspired to do the same and signed up the following year as a full-time musician in the Navy. Then came the chance of a lifetime when Carl decided to do something different and try out for Australian Idol. And what a decision that was as Carl made it all the way to the top 3. Carl Riseley’s debut album The Rise is out now through Universal Records and he chatted to Justin Middleton for this exclusive interview.

Click here to download the podcast of the entire interview. (12:57 - 1.5Mb)

“At the end of Idol John Foreman, who produced the album, said to me that if nothing comes from Idol that we should just make an album anyway and have a bit of fun. We had become good mates and he was originally a jazz pianist so it was a good opportunity for him too. We ended up just hanging out for a few weeks, almost a month just kicking tunes and arranging them.”

I asked Carl if it was difficult in choosing the songs that eventually ended up on the album. “A lot of these songs are songs that reflected really nice memories of my past. My favourite part was standing in the recording studio when we had 36 muso’s in the room all recording at the one time. They were all just the finest dudes in the country and they only ever did two or three takes of each song, they were that good. It ended up only taking a couple weeks in the studio so it was an amazing adventure. We did long hours, it was rough. We did 16-17 hours a day in the studio for the two weeks and just smashed it out.”

“We all loved the songs and we all could relate to them so we just wanted the best outcome. I think there was about 5 tunes we had that were on a backup list but we only ever recorded 13 songs. We discussed 13, we agreed on 13 and we went in and recorded 13 songs. So there are 12 songs on the album and the 13th will be the bonus track on iTunes.”

With Guy Sebastian releasing his Memphis album, Human Nature releasing their Motown albums and David Campbell releasing his Swing albums there is plenty of public interest in music that isn’t necessarily pop/rock at the moment. I asked Carl if he noticed this as well. “These guys like Guy and Human Nature and myself are just trying to bring a bit of a different taste out there than this pop and rock stuff that keeps coming out. I mean I haven’t listened to the radio for about a year now, since the start of Idol, so I don’t know what’s out there but I think it’s really nice to have this different style come through. It gives everybody options.”

The lineup of songs on The Rise features new arrangements of much loved hits including first single This Guy’s In Love With You, Girl From Ipanema, Pure Imagination, Lido Shuffle, We’ve Only Just Begun and even Waltzing Matilda. I asked Carl how much fun it was creating new arrangements for the classic songs. “It’s really a very special experience. I remember so clearly sitting down with John (Foreman) in his studio thinking about The Letter and what we can do with this. And we sat down and probably talked about it for two minutes and then we just started…and then we got on a roll and when we were doing it there seemed so many options but I can’t imagine it any other way now.”

Carl is set for a string of tour dates in May and June and the shows are set to be quite spectacular. Each show will consist of two sets - one with Carl backed up with a quartet and one with Carl backed up with a Big band. No Perth show is locked in as of yet but Carl did hope he could make his way over to the West. “I know we’ve locked in dated for Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide and we are still negotiating Perth and Hobart but we have to get it Perth. I’ve got good mates over there at the moment. I love Western Australia, I’ve been to Broome and I’ve spent a lot of time in Fremantle as well as Perth so I love it.”

The Rise is out today. For more info on Carl Riseley visit www.carlriseley.com.au

Carl Riseley Tour Dates
Wed 28 May - Governor Hindmarsh Hotel, Adelaide
Fri 30 May - Bennett’s Lane, Melbourne
Sat 31 May - Bennett’s Lane, Melbourne
Wed 4 June - Troubador, Brisbane
Fri 6 June - Rooty Hill RSL, Sydney
Sat 7 June - The Basement, Sydney
Sun 8 June - The Basement, Sydney

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 26th, 2008 at 11:50 am
Altair
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty carl's school time capsual

Post by amanda-renee Sun 27 Apr 2008, 12:15 pm

Young man on the riseArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Sally Browne
April 27, 2008 12:00am

WHEN Carl Riseley was in Year 12 at Robina High School on the Gold Coast, the kids in his class were asked to make a time capsule. They wrote down little notes describing what they hoped to be in 10 years' time.

In 10 years' time, 18-year-old trumpet player and sometime singer Riseley wanted to have the Carl Riseley Big Band.
"Dead serious," the handsome 25-year-old laughs on a sunny day in a cafe in Brisbane seven years later.

"I never thought it would happen. I just thought it would be a bit of fun. I just thought I'd be the dude playing trumpet and having a guest singer every now and then, but now it's going to be the other way around."

Riseley, who came third in last year's Australian Idol series, this weekend releases his first CD, The Rise, a collection of songs he worked on with Idol music director John Foreman.

The record includes classics such as Let's Fall in Love, childhood favourites such as Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and contemporary numbers such as Sade's Smooth Operator.

At times, Riseley's band certainly was big, with 36 musicians in a room together.

"It was so cool," he says. "It was really old school."

And the record features a guest appearance by James Morrison, who arranged Waltzing Matilda. Did the famous trumpet player teach Riseley any tricks?

"I taught him a few tricks," Riseley jokes. "Like how to pick up the ladies. No, I'm kidding. I'm always learning."

Riseley picked up his first trumpet when he was about four years old. "It was about as big as me."

His shipwright dad taught him to play. Carl played cornet with the Brisbane Excelsior Band when he was young. At Robina High School he formed a band, Affirmation (named after his dad's band), with whom he performed songs such as Joe Cocker's cover of The Letter. A 2008 version of the song, after all of Riseley's Idol training, appears on The Rise. He no longer attempts the raspy growl.

Affirmation must have been a talented bunch – one of the members of the band, Cheray Doughty, also made it to Idol's Top 24 last year.

After school, Riseley "couldn't even get a job at Red Rooster", so he worked for a while boat-building with his dad. Then he discovered the Australian Navy was looking for a full-time trumpet player.

His time in the navy band took him to Iraq twice, which involved weapons training and extreme fitness tests beforehand. Riseley found he was the best shot in the band.

"A lot of the girls said they were going to stay close to me there in Iraq. That was their excuse, because I was the best shot."

It was his navy mates who nudged Carl into auditioning for Idol and he hasn't looked back.

Idol taught him a lot. He hasn't done a gig so far that has been as hard, he says.

"I referred to it a lot as a boot camp of the industry because a lot of the stuff I had to do in Idol, all the promo stuff, I've had to do it again now."

Riseley has regular monthly lunches with Daniel Mifsud, who came sixth, and talks to Matt Corby every now and then.

And now his new CD has been released, Riseley can't wait to see how well it will do.

"It's an unbelievable feeling to have it all done," he says. "I'm still crossing my fingers and I know my parents are. I can't wait to stick in on the shelf and go, 'There it is'.

"That's exciting."

The Rise is out now. Carl Riseley plays the Troubadour, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, on June 4; www.thetroubadour.com.au.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 28 Apr 2008, 9:05 am

Hey Amanda, you just saved me scanning and posting this interview. It was in The Brisbane Sunday Mail yesterday and I was absolutely thrilled that he has made it big time into Brisbane! Obviously it was only a matter of time, because of his roots on the Gold Coast.
And here's a bonus that was also featured in the paper yesterday.

Make Mums Day

Event has 25 special Mothers Day CD Packs from Universal Music for readers to win.
Each pack will contain Kate Ceberano's So Much Beauty, Carl Riseley's The Rise, Mariah Carey's E=MC2, Andre Rieus Waltzing Matilda, Brian McFaddens Set In Stone and Colbie Calliat's Coco.

To enter, simply email your name, address and contact number to
competitions@thesundaymail.com.au
with MOTHER'S DAY in the subject line.
Competition closes midnight Monday and is drawn Tuesday. Only one entry per email address per person will be accepted. Winners will be notified by phone or mail. Only Qld residents are eligible to enter.
Sorry all of you out of the sunshine staters, but if you really feel lucky and want to enter you are quite welcome to use my address. Just pm me for details....very naughty but I really feel strongly that we should all have a chance at this!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2007-11-10

http://carlrisely.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty theres a carl artical in this week's tv week

Post by amanda-renee Mon 28 Apr 2008, 12:09 pm

Swing king
Navy trumpeter turned singer Carl Riseley brought swing to Australian Idol last year. Now he's given a bunch of classic songs a new twist on his CD, The Rise

What have you been up to since Idol finished?
Some washing... the dishes. No, I've been doing some corporate gigs and just preparing for the album. We recorded it in January.

You play the trumpet on some of the songs. Is it hard to be a trumpet player and a singer? It's not like playing the guitar, is it?
No, you can't exactly do them at the same time! [Laughs.] But it's cool. I feel like I can set a vibe up in the room. I spent years studying the trumpet and I really enjoy it.

Why do you think there's been this renewed interest in swing?
I think people, especially the older age groups or even 20 and above, might be getting sick of the electronic sounds. They want to hear something a bit more real, a bit more live. I'm a big swing and jazz fan, and it hurts me to see that nobody was really interested in it up until people like Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr [made it popular again]. They don't know what they're missing out on. I want to get Australia interested in their own Australian artists who can do that sort of stuff.

What are you offering that's different from Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr?
If you listen to my album and Bublé's albums, they're similar in style in some ways, but they're completely different. My voice is different from his. And Harry's and mine — different again. If you get into the music and really listen [you can hear it].

What market are you aiming at?
All ages. I really wanted to bring some swing back to the younger generation and I did that with Idol. It was the best feeling in the world having little kids come up to me and wanting autographs and stuff like that, and they were really enjoying that style. So it's definitely for the younger generation, but also my age and upwards.

Are you still in the navy?
I've become a reserve, so I've kept a tie with them, so it's easy to just do a gig with the navy band. I'd love to do more gigs with the navy Big Band.

Last year on Idol, it was rumoured that they wanted someone from the defence forces in the competition and encouraged them to audition. Is that how you came to audition?
No, I lost a bet. One of my best mates had a lot of faith in me and wanted me to audition for Idol. So I said that if he would try out for the national navy soccer team for the over-30s side, I'd audition. I didn't think he'd get in, but he did. I don't think he even tried out for it — I think they were just low on people and he got in anyway! So I had to audition.

You were recently a contender for the Cleo Bachelor of the Year title. Were you disappointed not to win?
No, I was hoping I'd come third.

Were you surprised to be asked to be in it?
Oh yeah — I don't know what I was dong there! This white, pasty musician hanging around all these tanned Mr Universes — quite overwhelming!

Are you still with your girlfriend, Rachel?
Yes.

Are you engaged?
No.

How's she coping with all of this? One day, she's dating a navy musician; the next day, she's dating this guy who's on TV and releasing a CD?
I'm very lucky — she's wonderful. She's really strong. She helps me a lot. She slaps me down when I'm getting a big head. She's very good to me. It's worked out really well. It's perfect, knock on wood. She's great. She doesn't get fazed by any of it.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Mon 05 May 2008, 11:48 pm

Can't wait to get this mag Yvonne! Looks like there are some great pics in there! Here's the link to the photos section...a couple in there already but more to come tomorrow!! Very Happy

https://carlriseley.forumotion.com/miscellaneous-f35/ok-magazine-may-5th-2008-t448.htm#4893
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Stage Noise interview

Post by ambercat Thu 08 May 2008, 11:12 pm

I don't think I've seen this interview before.... love the bit about the undies!! Razz

A Quick Chat with Carl Riseley
By Damian Madden - April 28th, 2008

About to embark on a national tour Carl took time out to join us on StageNoise.com for a Quick Chat.

Since Australian Idol ended last year, Carl Riseley has hit the ground running, parlaying the fan-base and industry credibility he earned, by making it to the Top 12 on the show, into a record deal and The Rise, his debut album which is out now through Universal. About to embark on a national tour Carl took time out to join us on StageNoise.com for a Quick Chat.

During your time on Idol you became known for your unique interpretations of classic songs. How important was it for you to make this album your own and not simply “just another swing album” in what is already a crowded marketplace?
I really don't feel this album can be regarded as just another swing album or another “just anything” album. Basically I chose songs that, in their original form - I hold quite close me. Then changing them to the format I love and to the way I know my Idol fans would expect of me.

There are so many good songs to choose from in this songbook. How did you pick the final line-up?
All of the songs I picked have a strong connection to my past, holding strong memories. All of these are songs I grew up with.

You've been called Australia's Harry Connick Jr, so who are your musical influences?
I feel I have quite a diverse range of influences, some far from jazz as well. Such as Stevie Wonder, Kool and the Gang, Donny Hathaway, The Rat Pack and Sting just to name a few.

Do you think those influences can be heard in your work?
Ha!! I honestly couldn't tell you...

You were in the Navy, do you think any of the lessons or discipline you learnt there – aside from being a good trumpet player in the Navy band – have helped you in your musical career?
Oh definitely!! But mainly just for life in general. Joining the Navy was the best career move I ever made, they do everything from scream at you for being late to not folding your undies properly!! I now couldn't bear being late for anything. (I've let the undies thing go!)

What does the future hold for you?
I guess I'm really looking forward to actually getting out there and touring the album. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to travel international with it as well!

http://www.stagenoise.com/featuresdisplay.php?id=69
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Any1 see this in TV Week about Sea Patrol and Carl- new mag

Post by Yvonne Mon 12 May 2008, 4:22 pm

There is a small pic of Carl and Rachel in this weeks TV Week and further in the mag it says how Kristian Schmid from Sea Patrol told Carl they would love to see him playing the trumpet in Sea Patrol given his navy background.

I love Sea Patrol, I would love it even more if that happened.

I cannot remember what page it is on, it is all about backstage at the Logies this issue, but it is part of the gossip they had in there.

You never know what might happen.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Tue 13 May 2008, 4:43 pm

ok the artical.

WHAT ARE YOU FLOGGING?
my deut album The Rise it's a mix of classic tracks revamped with my touch. theyré all songs that have meant something to me or that mark a piece of my life.

YOUR SINGLE THIS GUYS IN LOVE WITH YOU, WHO'S THE YOU?
mr snuffleupugus from sesame street.

YOUVÉ ALSO DONE A VERSION OF THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA WHERE EXACTLY IS IPANEMA?
somewhere down south, only on her map. NAUGHTY CORNER CARL.

THIS ALBUM IS ALL COVERS CAN'T YOU WRITE YOUR OWN SONGS?
actually ivé been writting a few of my own tracks lately.

AS A BUDDING MUSICIAN WHAT MADE YOU JOIN THE NAVY?
i heard the bird's love the uniform and they do.

SO IS IT TRUE ALL GIRLS LOVE SAILORS?
yeah why not.

HAVE YOU JUMPED SHIP FOR GOOD? OR HAVE YOU GONE AWOL?
nah i just signed my discharge papers and walked out.

YOURE STRANDED ON A LIFEBOAT WITH KYLE, MARCIA, MARK AND DICKO THE BOAT IS SINKING AND ONE HAS TO GO AS THE MOST SENIOR OFFICER WHO WOULD YOU TOSS OVERBOARD?
i'd have to toss mark bacause i need people who can speak proper english none of this oogily boogily business.

E-VEIW IS CONFUSSED ARE YOU THE NEW HARRY CONNICK JR, MICHAEL BUBLE OR FRANK SINATRA?
i'm just the new guy carl riseley.

ALL SWING STARS ARE DEVISTATEINGLY HANDSOME DISCUSS?
the music is sexy, the ugliest guy in the word could croon and everyone would think he's sexy.

YOUR VERY CLEAN CUT ANY TATTOO'S OR PEIRCINGS?
yeah there secret

DO TRUMPET PLAYERS GET TIRED OF HEARING PEOPLE SAY I LOVE A MAN WITH A BIG HORN?
i thought this interveiw wasn't about the truth.

WHAT ABOUT HMMM HAVE YOU GOT THE HORN?
i take it everywhere with me i'm armed and ready.

OR YOU MAKE ME HORNY BABY?
er thats your problem

WHO TAUGHT YOU TO BLOW YOUR OWN TRUMPET?
myself after many many hours alone in my room practicing all by myself.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR BRASSED OFF?
when i'm brassed off i just whip out my trumpet and give it a good blow.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SING AND PLAY AT THE SAME TIME?
there are no word's to describe how beautiful it sounds. it's just for me and me only.

SERIOUSLY WHO ARE YOUR MUSICAL HEROES?
stevie wonder, harry connick jr, donny hathaway, and most definatly the b sharps from the simpsons.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Article on Carl in Perth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Angeo Thu 15 May 2008, 2:41 pm

Carl paid a flying visit to Perth last week!! I found a pic and small article on him in the Stirling Times which is our community newspaper.

section: p18 Music
title: The Horn Blower

"As Carl Riseley quietly made his way through to the final three of last season's Australian Idol series, viewers and music industry types were quick to dub him the next Harry Connick Jr or Michael Buble.
Chatting in a Perth pub last week during a whirlwind visit to promote his newly released debut album - aptly titled The Rise - the Melbourne-based jazz trumpeter and vocalist looked every bit as suave as his more established contemporaries, cutting a stylish figure in crisp white shirt and dark trousers.
The Rise - which saw Riseley work with Idol music director and mentor John Foreman and jazz maestro James Morrison - debuted on the ARIA Album Chart at number five.
The Rise is out now. A national big band tour will be announced soon."
Emilia Vranjes

I should have known *sigh*. Exactly at the time I was out of town in Brisbane, naturally he'd be here Rolling Eyes these pics were taken the day I left Perth. But get this! The photos were taken at what hotel? At the BRISBANE!! He's messing with my mind!!!! Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc10
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc11
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc12
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc13
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc14
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc16
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Perthc17

What happened to the street team thing? Did they know he was coming? Fanatic? Were you keeping him to yourself girl?????
Angeo
Angeo

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Message on Borders site from Carl-shortlist video msg

Post by Yvonne Mon 19 May 2008, 3:33 pm

I receive emails from them each week and guess what I found this time round. Something very nice.

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBILMCYAdlBzFB7RBz-A4vud-m1/doc.html?RAF_TRACK=&password=AdlBzFA4vud-BILMCYG$TmT857$bUl&

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Mon 19 May 2008, 10:41 pm

I found a bigger version of the same article in another newspaper that my parents get, 'The Western Suburbs Weekly', Tuesday 13th May. It's by the same journalist just more detailed. It took up half a page and they used Ambercat's favourite photo :)

"As Carl Riseley quietly made his way through to the final three of last season's Australian Idol series, viewers and music industry types were quick to dub him the next Harry Connick Jr or Michael Buble.
Chatting in a Perth pub last week during a whirlwind visit to promote his newly released debut album - aptly titled The Rise - the Melbourne-based jazz trumpeter and vocalist looked every bit as suave as his more established contemporaries, cutting a stylish figure in crisp white shirt and dark trousers.
Make no mistake though - this 25-year-old is determined to carve out his own niche in the entertainment business.
"They're wonderful comparisons and it's great to be put in that league, but at the same time I want people t know that we are still very different and they will realise that once they hear the album." he said.
"I'm so different to Harry and Buble, but I'm probably closer to Harry because we're both instrumentalists."
And just as the two "swing kings" before him have done, Riseley also hopes to help push jazz further into the mainstream.
"I'm hoping jazz and swing become bigger here (and I think that will happen) because Australia will have their own swing dude," he said.
And if the early success of his album - which contains 12 re-worked classic tracks - is any indicator, he may well be on his way.
The Rise - which saw Riseley work with Idol music director and mentor John Foreman and jazz maestro James Morrison - debuted on the ARIA Album Chart at number five.
But it isn't Riseley's only success of late. Earlier this year he was a finalist in Cleo's 50 Most Eligible Bachelors for 2008 - a topic he approaches with self-deprecating humour.
"I couldn't believe it . . . (I mean), this white pasty musician isn't Mr Universe," he said.
"The hardest thing must have been deciding whether to take my shirt off or not. I would have scared all my fans away (if I did).
"It was an odd experience because I never saw myself in that environment, but we had a lot of fun."
It is all a far cry from this time last year, when Riseley was still enlisted in the Royal Australian Navy and thinking about what to do next.
Having made two trips to Iraq to perform to the troops, Riseley hasn't ruled out revisiting the Middle East.
"It would be weird because I'd be going over as an artist and not with the band," he said.
"I've remained a reservist just to keep ties with the navy and to be able to do gigs with the big band. The Navy's been a big part of my life and I learnt a lot about myself during my time with it."
The Rise is out now. A national big band tour will be announced soon."
Emilia Vranjes
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty A couple of nice Carl interviews...

Post by ambercat Sat 21 Jun 2008, 9:36 pm

I like these two interviews so much!! yup The first one is from .... a gay website!! (DNA website... I got this from a search! I don't normally visit gay websites!! ;) giggle Carl is so chatty here!! Unfortunately, I don't think its complete as the end sort of finishes off with half a sentence, but there doesnt seem to be a second page on the site, but still, its a nice interview!! Love the bit where Carl talks about working on the ship building site... he really just wanted to be at home with his trumpet!! awwww... he's so cute!!! cloud9 And whats with Dicko saying that Carl is a lousy interviewee??!!! I've always thought that he is great in interviews...unless Dicko might have been going by talking to Carl on stage where he did always seem a bit nervous...but that was a different thing than having a proper interview!! Anyway, enjoy!! Very Happy

Date: 6-Jun-2008

Clive Simmons spoke with former Australian Idol contestant Carl Riseley about his music, growing up, and that TV juggernaut...

“Music gives me an unbelievable sensation.”

Carl Riseley says, “there’s nothing on earth that gives me a sensation like that. Nothing. When I’m playing the trumpet - when I’m in that moment - I receive an abundant sense of strength. I feel I can achieve anything.”

I have been informed by no less a figure than industry heavyweight and Idol judge, Ian Dickson, that Carl Riseley is not only a terrible interviewee, but deeply suspicious of the press. But when Riseley and I meet in the midst of a national tour to promote his first album, The Rise, nothing could be further from the truth. Warm, funny, and endearingly profane, Riseley is an interviewer’s dream.

Born in 1982, Riseley grew up in Robina on the Gold Coast, then a rural exurb, where his father built super-yachts by day, and played trumpet by night. “We lived five minutes from the beach surrounded by shitloads of forest,” Riseley says, “so it was a great place to grow up.”

Riseley says that his father was in a lot of brass and pub cover bands. “I travelled around with him from when I was eight until I was sixteen. He’d go to competitions in each state, and we’d go there - he and I - for three or four days at a time. It was very difficult without a support network like you have today, but for me, it was just a fun trip away.

“My mother was the perfect mother. My whole personality comes from her. She’s very sweet, polite, patient, caring. I think I’m like that. You know, I was just fortunate to be brought up in a loving environment, and I’m grateful for that.”

Riseley says that he always wanted to be a musician. It wasn’t so much following in his father’s footsteps, he says, but rather that the trumpet interested him. He took to it with alacrity.

“I always wanted to play,” he says, “but I didn’t feel strong vocally, so I thought it was ridiculous to chase the dream of playing professionally. I wasn’t good academically either. I wasn’t good at science or maths, and I thought ‘well, I can do things on the trumpet which are really hard, but I find them easy.’ So, I thought I’d give it a go.

“I would skip classes. I was the class clown, you might say. I just gravitated to the music room. I was there four hours out of a six-hour day, and when I was there, it felt right.”

After he left school, he did some labouring work; some boat building, like his father. But it didn’t take. Carl was always itching to be at home with his trumpet.

“Labouring was a lot of effort,” he says, “and I didn’t understand the carpentry thing. I just couldn’t see myself doing that forever. And I liked the opposite sorts of things to the people I was working with. They loved to drink and listen to hard rock, and I wasn’t like that at all. I liked steady long-term girlfriends and I didn’t like to drink. So, we would talk and be polite, but I didn’t really connect with them at all.

“Anyway, I wanted to find an avenue to do full-time work, and this position came up in the Navy. A friend had joined the Defence Forces and he called me up a year later and said ‘you should audition for the Navy. It’s awesome.’ So, I ended up joining the Navy to play the trumpet.

“It’s interesting cos I failed my first interview with the Defence Forces. I was shitting myself. The guy asked me why I wanted to join the Navy, and I said that I wanted to play the trumpet. He thought I was lazy because I didn’t know the names of any ships, and told me to come back in two weeks time to tell him why I really wanted to join. I went home and brushed up on the names of some ships, and I really impressed him the second time with my knowledge. I told him what he wanted to hear, and I got in. Then, it was three months of hardcore boot camp. I lost 10 kilos, and I travelled all over Asia and New Zealand. I even went to Iraq.”
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sat 21 Jun 2008, 9:43 pm

Second one from TimeOut Sydney website....

Thar he blows!

Andrew P Street talks armed forces and Jazz festivals with Carl Riseley.

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Large-criseley30

Insert your own horn-themed pun here

It might seem initially odd that a man best known for making it to the final three of Australian Idol is featuring as part of the Darling Harbour Jazz & Blues Festival, but Carl Riseley isn't your average Idol hopeful. The trumpet-wielding Navy musician with the old-school voice was hardly a musically-illiterate ingénue when he signed up for the show (reportedly after losing a bet with a mate), and his loss after getting to the final three turned out to be a huge advantage for his career.

"I think it also helped a lot, being an instrumentalist," he shrugs. "I was a trumpet player for years before I started singing so I know what it's like to be behind the singer and just be playing the music, you know? But I think I left all my ties with Idol behind when I left - I'm not managed by the guy who manages all the Australian Idol artists, I'm not with Sony - and they have a big say, obviously, in what kind of artist they want you to be - so I've been very lucky in that. Universal has taken me on as the artist that I am, and I showed Australia what kind of artist I was on the show, and they were happy about that and just let me evolve into whatever I wanted to."

After five years in Sydney Riseley is now based in Melbourne. However, he's looking forward to popping back to his former home to for the Festival. "Yeah, it's very exciting. I haven't actually seen the program, actually? Who's on? Deni Hines, D.I.G, James Morrison? Oh man, that'll be great."

Since he'd not seen the bill, what attracted him to being part of the event?

"I thought it was a great opportunity to get together with the Royal Australian Navy Big Band again. I'm really excited about playing with them, ‘cause obviously I spent five years with those guys. That's gonna be fun."
Clearly his ties with the Navy are still strong - through, presumably, they're less official these days.

"No no, I'm still a reservist," he hastens to clarify, "but I've been so busy lately that I haven't done much with them."

So once a sailor, always a sailor?

"That's correct. They always say to you you're a sailor first, and that's completely true. But being in the reserves it just means that if the world goes to s*** you can get picked to go to war. But you'll be the last ones to be picked, especially the musician branch of the reserves. It's all very part time - you have to do a minimum of 20 days a year just to acknowledge your position as a reservist, but that's about it."

So does that mean that, were a coup to occur during the Jazz & Blues Fest, the Navy Big Band would be in a position to quell it?

"Oh yeah, we certainly will," he dryly replies. "We'll have our weapons ready and armed as well. We've got special compartments within our cases. And stretchers as well - we're really good stretcher bearers."
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed 30 Jul 2008, 5:37 pm

Thought I would put this post here, instead of making a whole new thread..

There's a snippet in this week's TV Week (Farmer Wants a Wife on the cover) about Carl. Here is the article -

Idol Carl Riseley's career is going from strength to strength. As well as clinching a record deal, he's in demand on the small screen too, recently filming a guest spot on Disney Channel's - As The Bell Rings. The episode will air later this year.

WOO HOO!! As I said on another thread, I am so proud of how often we are seeing and hearing of Carl on television. Before Idol finished I never really thought we would see of hear of him as much as first and second place winners.

Australia loves you Carl ;)
Kris
Kris

Female
Number of posts : 528

http://www.myspace.com/kristenh222

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty another online artical

Post by amanda-renee Fri 08 Aug 2008, 2:05 pm

CARL RISELEY
Cj Anderson-peters
Upon speaking to Carl Riseley, I had this impression of a man, judging by what I had seen on Australian Idol last year to be quiet, timid and soft-spoken but boy was I wrong! This ‘supposed’ camera shy Idol graduate now jazz muso is anything but the afore mentioned. Perhaps it had something to go with the meteoric rise of music stardom that Carl experienced which prepared him for the big wide world or perhaps its just Carl being Carl. Whatever the case, Idol has been a big learning curve for the former Royal Australian Navy Trombone player. Noone knows this more than the man himself.
‘Yeah the Idol experience was unbelievable. I had so much fun’ chuckles Carl with a grin. ‘Idol is the best thing I’ve done’ Carl adds. However that said, is Carl concerned at all about the backlash from journalists on Idol contestants and the fact that Idol is seen as hindering a talent’s chance of music credibility? ‘No, no no, no! Today you’ve got MySpace and shows like Idol that are discovering talent all the time. How else are you expected to get noticed these days? In a pub? Only five per cent of the guys get noticed that way these days by record companies. I didn’t want to take that chance. I’ve been working for years to get somewhere musically and this is it!’ Carl exclaims. Carl continues stating ‘I’m originally a trumpet player whose been playing since I was four. I’ve been working on music for as long as I can remember. I honestly don’t really care what people think. I’ve been working my arse off for twenty years’ he says with a laugh.
Moving on to the topic of his debut album, ‘The Rise’, you could tell Carl was excited by his creation, especially by the way he twitched when ‘The Rise’ was even mentioned in the same sentence as ‘your album’. Grinning from ear to ear Carl exclaims, ‘Yeah I’m REALLY happy with it. Actually I’m OVER THE MOON!’ Carl continues adding, ‘Everything is going to plan. The album is something my fans would expect me to bring out and I believe I haven’t let them and more importantly myself down musically. The Rise was an exciting project to be a part of,’ explains Carl. So what are Mr Riseley’s favourite tracks off the album? ‘Oh, can I have more than one?’ he asks. ‘Ok well, there are two tracks that really hit home for me. They are ‘Let’s Fall in Love’ and ‘Lido Shuffle’. ‘Let’s Fall in Love’ has this simple melody, where it’s just the piano and me. That’s it. It’s skeleton in production but it has this warmth and charm that really worked well. As for ‘Lido Shuffle’, well I love my shuffle tunes and this song works a treat with the big band when I’m touring’.
Speaking of touring, how is Carl adjusting to playing in front of hundreds of music fans at venues just to see him sing and swing every night? ‘It’s so much fun’ he says excitedly. ‘I was in Melbourne the week before and now I’m in Brisbane week. It’s been chaos but so worth it. I love playing with the big band. They play with such feeling and soul and it transcends a nice vibe onstage. It’s really relaxed and you can see people just sit up and actually listen. I’m amazed that people are opening their minds to new and different sounds. Jazz has really taken off in the last couple of years commercially and it offers something different from all the electro-pop that is littering the charts at the moment’ Carl explains.
Carl seems to have come along way since his days on Idol. Reflecting on his career thus far, what has been the highlight for him? ‘Again can I have two?’ he asks with a chuckle in his voice. I tell him sure. ‘Ok well the first is my signing to Universal back in early December. In fact the signing came on my 25th birthday, which made for a great present. As for the second, it would have to be working on the new album with John Foreman. He is a genius and to see my album take shape was quite exciting and surreal for me’.
Finally what does 2008 have in store for Carl Riseley? ‘Hahaha well really don’t know. Well I guess the first thing is wrapping up my tour that I’m currently on then from there who knows. I’d love to do a few gigs here and there and a few corporate things as well. In fact Universal and I are in negotiations to start work sometime in the near future on a second album, which is fantastic. People are asking if its going to be an originals album and what I can definitely tell you is that it will have originals on it, but that’s as far as I know’ Carl explains. Then Carl adds ‘look out for me in early 2009. I can guarantee a new album by then….hopefully’.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Fri 08 Aug 2008, 9:01 pm

Found the link but it doesnt say what the date was on the page.... just says on the home page that it was updated in July, but it must be reasonably recent as he's talking about doing a second album... Thanks amanda!! It's a nice interview hey!!

http://www.ozonline.com.au/buzz/int4net.htm
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Idol CD in this weeks who magazine

Post by the8thark Thu 28 Aug 2008, 9:15 pm

Hi,

Well I just noticed today in the "Who" magazine there is a 6 track cd. It's just a mix cd with these songs on it (picture disc) and a fancy cardboard page describing it and adverting the new idol season:

1. Damien Leith - Shine Like The Sun
2. Carl Riseley - We've Only Just Begun
3. Axle Whitehead - I Don't Do Surprises
4. Ricki Lee - Take me To A Place
5. Bobby Flynn - Out Of The Blue
6. Bobby Flynn - Payload (Live)

But I thought I'd mention it as a Carl track is on it. The magazine is $4.70 I think. Well be quick as they will have the new issue out on Monday I think.
the8thark
the8thark

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty another carl artical

Post by amanda-renee Sun 28 Sep 2008, 11:04 am

Carl Risely is a sailor who turned Idol who turned crooner, as Leon Gettler reports.

From growing up on the Gold Coast, to the Royal Australian Navy, to the finals of Australian Idol to working as crooner - Carl Riseley is only 25 years old but his career has had more twists and turns than most twice his age. Many would be jangled by all the changes. He remains remarkably laid back about the constant dislocation, as mellow as his sound.

"I've just embraced it," he says. "I don't let it affect me too much because it's where I want to go."

When Riseley finishes his Australian tour at month's end, he will start work on his second album and gigging. His first album, appropriately named The Rise and over which he's been compared to Harry Connick, was released in April. What makes this career trajectory so remarkable is that he only left the Navy in February.

As a kid on the Gold Coast, he learned trumpet from his father, a boat builder who played music as a hobby. "He obviously didn't force it on me but he taught me to play when I was young, maybe three or four," he says.

Determined to become a musician, he joined the Navy when he was 20. Why? Because it's one of the few jobs where you get paid to practise all day and perform. He never rose above the rank of Able Seaman ("second from the very bottom") but he didn't care. All he wanted to do was play.

And to see the world. His 21st birthday was on a plane travelling to Iraq to entertain the troops. And it was only in the navy that he discovered his voice. "I knew I could sing because I liked to do it in the shower and around the house. I would just sing jazz stuff, but it wasn't a serious thing."

Riseley ended up gigging in the navy rock band, belting out covers and rock standards. And when he wasn't singing, he was on trumpet.

So how does someone go from the Navy to Australian Idol?

"I lost a bet," he admits. "I said to a mate if you try out for the Navy soccer side and get in, I'll audition for Idol. We made the bet, thinking he wouldn't get in. He did, so I had to do the audition and got through."

Able Seaman Riseley made it to the top 24. The judges then nominated Riseley for his version of the Everly Brothers hit Bye Bye Love. Then he took another risk: a jazz version of Waltzing Matilda. It could have been canned as corny but Riseley figured the massive amount of free publicity was worth the risk.

Riseley got kicked off Australian Idol in November but, by then, he was on his way. He had reached the top three and had generated enormous publicity. He signed up with manager Ralph Carr who also looks after Vanessa Amorosi and Kate Ceberano, left the Navy and moved to Melbourne. He hasn't looked back.

"This is a lot more challenging and rewarding. In the navy, there is only so far you can go in life, especially in music. They're not really interested in music.

"People don't individualise you as a singer when you're in the Navy band. But now, whatever I do is reflected on my name in whatever I sing."
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Sun 19 Oct 2008, 7:07 pm

Carl on the Rise
Written by Megan Smith

Thursday, 05 June 2008
If ever someone has lived up to his name, it is Carl Riseley. He began his musical career as a trumpet player. Eventually finding his voice, Carl also found a place on Australian Idol. Since then, he has put out a promising first album of big band covers. OUTinPerth’s Megan Smith talked to the instrumentalist-cum-singer about his debut record and his ‘rise’ to stardom.

The Rise is an album of covers, what do you enjoy about covering songs?

When I was growing up, my dad was a trumpet player and he taught me to play because of his musical background. If you play an instrument you listen to music differently than people who don’t. I used to listen to all those old big band songs and I have a lot of fond memories when I hear those songs. I just love them. I think they’re timeless classics, so I just want to put some of Carl Riseley on it.

Any plans to do original material?

I was very surprised at how everyone on Australian Idol was so keen on writing originals because I was always a trumpet player, I’ve always been the guy behind the singer playing other people’s music. You learn to just love to do that because as an instrumentalist that’s what you’ve got to do most of the time. I’ve never really written any originals or had any interest in it, but ever since Idol I can see where the love comes from and why you would want to write originals. I’ve been working on a few and I look forward to bringing forward some originals next time.

Why was the memorable Idol favourite ‘Bye, Bye Love’ not included on the album?

That’s a very good question. It was on the list right up until the very end. We just thought it was a little bit dull really. I did it on the show, but I don’t particularly love the song.

Waltzing Matilda is the last song on the album. How did you come to choose this song as a closer?

I did that on Idol and it was really risky. People could have just kicked me off right then and there, but I didn’t even touch the bottom three for weeks after that… Plus, I wanted James Morrison to play on the album, and I knew he had a really great arrangement of it, so I thought instead of going and writing out a whole new one, it would be cool if my instrumental jazz hero could be part of the album.

Prior to being on Australian Idol you were in the Navy, what lessons have you taken away from that?

The Navy was the best thing I ever did. I did a lot of travel and saw a whole lot of the world. It was an insane growing process for me, the Navy was, not musically, but personality-wise. Going over to places like Iraq puts life in a new perspective.

What was it like being in Iraq?

I did two stints in Iraq. We went over Christmas and New Year’s a couple years back to provide moral support for the troops. It was full-on – you were carrying a weapon 24-hours. We just tried to put a smile on some of our troops faces while they were away from their families.

How does the Navy compare to Australian Idol?

I always compare recruit school for the Navy to Australian Idol for the music industry. A lot of people bag Australian Idol, but I’ve done some hard things, like recruit school, and I can honestly say Australian Idol was just as hard. It’s really long hours, really emotionally draining. Everything we did in Idol has helped me improve for what I do now. It’s definitely the boot camp.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Wed 17 Dec 2008, 11:53 am

Tangling with pythons not on his program

• news

• Local News

16 Dec 08 @ 05:50pm by Paul Tatnell
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 36de87b0e38a92348ec09401bbd9936b_resized

Carl Riseley will perform as part of the Taronga at Twilight series. Inset: Risely squirms at the snake on the end of his trumpet.Picture: BRENT McGILVAR

WITH a snake tangled around his trumpet, Australian Idol star Carl Riseley had a touch of the terrors.
“The concert at the zoo will be a piece of cake after this,” he declared.
Riseley, 25, confesses to being scared of snakes and a photo shoot at Taronga Zoo last week made him more nervous than an Idol audition.
Despite assurances that the diamond python was not poisonous and unlikely to bite, the swing singer was not convinced.
“I just won’t look at it,” said Riseley as the snake crawled up the trumpet towards his face. “Tell me if the snake’s getting cranky and going to pounce,” he asked the zookeeper.
Riseley will perform at the zoo in February as part of the Twilight at Taronga concerts (the snakes will be locked away).
“My girlfriend Rachel is from Mosman - her family lives here - and they’re really looking forward to coming down to the zoo to see the show,” he said.
Riseley was one of the top three in Australian Idol in 2007 and he’s now carving out a successful career. Earlier this year he left the navy and the navy band with whom he played trumpet and is about to launch his second album. Riseley will perform a Big Band Tribute February 20 and 21 for Twilight at Taronga.
Bookings: 132 849 or http://www.twilightattaronga.com.au
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Tue 06 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm

Almost forgot about these. Sorry about the bad moire in the scans, not good scanning software and they'd look better resized smaller I guess but - hmm can't be bothered sorry.

This was on the front page
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Front10

and with the article and same pic as Amanda posted - on page 5
Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 P510

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Cringe10
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty Short interview with Jazz And Beyond ezine

Post by kursaal60 Thu 09 Apr 2009, 9:00 pm

http://www.jazzandbeyond.com.au/interview.html#CarlRiseley

Peter Wockner's interview with Carl Riseley 2 April 2009

Peter Wockner: You played trumpet on the Gold Coast growing up. Not widely known for it’s live jazz scene, especially for youngsters; what sorts of music were you exposed to as a youngster? What did your father enjoy listening to?

Carl Riseley: It's true, the Gold Coast isn't the most kickn' jazz town around, but if you want it - you'll find it! Most of my friends were older cause we played in the same bands, they introduced me to all the sites and places to see live music. My dad listened to a lot of bands that had horn sections, like - Blood,Sweat and Tears; Earth, Wind and Fire, Chicago and the list goes on!

PW Who are you influences on the trumpet and what have you learnt from them?

CR: My influences consist of a broad range of players such as:
Dizzy Gillespy, Maynard Ferguson, Louis Armstrong, Doc Sevrinson, Chet Baker.
Just listening to these kinds of players will give you everything you need to 'hear' about playing.

PW:Vince Jones became almost a household name in Australia proving that it’s possible to successfully sell jazz commercially in this country. Obviously he had his own sound and his own style. Can you define the Carl Riseley sound or style?

CR: Well, 'smooth popular jazz with a mix of folk' howz zat! Or you can grab a copy of my album and decide for yourself.

PW: Is Carl Riseley first and foremost a vocalist now rather than a trumpeter? Or what occupation do you put on your credit card application?

CR: Musicians applying for credit..........ha! .........goodluck!
I am a singer who can please the crowd with a beautiful trumpet solo, if he so wishes. No, I'm definitely still a trumpet player aswell, I still think like one, and always will.

PW: You played for Australian troops in Iraq during a stint in the Royal Australian Navy band. Emotionally that must have been very moving for you. Can you tell us what that was like and indeed without sounding overly patriotic, did you find yourself playing with a greater sense of pride and passion during these particular performances?

CR: The whole experience was an unbelievable opportunity for us and our troops.
The sole purpose of our visit was to entertain and provide morale support for our troops over a difficult period. It's hard being away from loved ones in any respect over Xmas and New Year, let alone fighting for your country and just trying to live through each day. We played till we could play no more, seeing the smiles on their faces was all the thanks we needed.

PW: When I saw the title of your second album ‘The Stillest Hour’, the first thing that sprang to mind was the tune ‘In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning”. Can you describe the direction you are aiming for with this release and what were the key ingredients you used for the mood you’ve achieved?

CR: Ahh, so your idea of "The Stillest Hour" is in the very early morning. That's what I love about the title, everyone has a different idea about when 'the hour' is.
I guess the biggest change from the first album was scaling down the sound. Once that happened it was pretty simple really, take 4 of the best rhythm section players in the country, record great songs, sing with soul and bake for 50 min!

kursaal60

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty get your carl fix

Post by amanda-renee Tue 14 Apr 2009, 3:39 pm

Get Your Carl Fix HERE!Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Link

Today at 3:27pm

With Carl’s stunning second album ‘The Stillest Hour’ set for
release in just over a week, here is where you will be able to see
and hear Carl very soon....

**Channel 9 Mornings with Kerri-Anne. Carl will be joining Kerri-Anne for a whole week starting April 27th.

**Livewire.org.au (Starlight Children's Foundation) - Carl will be online April 15th between 6pm - 7.30pm.

Over the coming months Carl will also be appearing in stores across the country, on your local and national radio stations and in magazines so keep your eyes and ears peeled!

www.myspace.com/carlriseleymusic
www.carlriseley.com.au
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Articles from Print Media. - Page 3 Empty No Idol Moment - STM Entertainment Apr 19

Post by Altair Tue 21 Apr 2009, 1:10 pm

Carl Riseley's second album is dubbed The Stillest Hour, but the 2007 Australian Idol runner-up calls it a blessing.

When he came third in the singing competition, the former Royal Australian Navy trumpeter/trombonist knew he had reached a certain sector of the Australian population and therefore had some confidence his debut album, The Rise, would find an audience.

But he also knew that the second time around, if there was to be one, would be a much more tricky proposition.

Riseley's new album was created without the still-fresh memory of twice-weekly television performances and he wasn't confident his new found fans would stay for another dose of his smooth balladry.

He was sure that if there was an audience, they would want more than just a rehash of his first album.

So he and producer Bryon Jones set out to create something that would be both familiar and fresh at the same time.

While the pair were nutting out a musical direction, Riseley recalled that a section of his show went over particularly well with his audience.

"While I was on tour with a small band we discovered that me with a quartet made a lovely sound we found the audience seemed quite transfixed by it," the lanky 26-year-old says.

"Then the challenge was to capture what was going on at the gigs, on an album. My voice is captured much better with the quartet."

Jones chose the players, including Bill Risby on piano, James Muller [guitar] and Jonathon Zwartz [bass], and the tracks, which include crooner standards When I Fall In Love and My Funny Valentine and left-of-centre numbers from the likes of Ron Sexsmith [Never Give Up], Don Walker [The Way You Are Tonight] and JJ Cale [Magnolia].

It is the Sexsmith and Cale choices that give the album much of its character - a clarity that stops it being yet another reading of the Great American Songbook.

"I wanted to offer something classy and being a romantic guy myself I wanted something that had a romantic vibe," Riseley says.

Co-writing sessions in the US and Australia yielded several songs Riseley wanted to record, but they didn't fit with the concept of The Stillest Hour and so were shelved for the time being.

Similarly, there isn't a great deal of his trumpet playing to be found on the album. He is coming around to the idea that he will have time to incorporate these things over the course of what he hopes will be a long career.

"It doesn't bother me. I am out there to make beautiful music," the Melbourne-based Queenslander says. "We just did what we felt would be best.

"Trumpet is my first love, but people are coming to hear me sing. I am happy about where I am and where this album can take us. I'm a lot more confident."
Altair
Altair

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Tue 21 Apr 2009, 1:20 pm

^ The above article appeared in the STM Entertainment lift-out of the Sunday Times, Perth.
Altair
Altair

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Wed 22 Apr 2009, 5:18 pm

Carl Riseley Public Appearences Nationwide

By Dave Jansen | Wednesday | 22/04/2009
With his second album "The Stillest Hour", Carl Riseley has made a record which evokes a late night smoky club, where the vibes are mellow, and the photographs on the walls are black and white. It sees the Queensland-born jazz singer and trumpeter take a confident step forward in his musical journey.
On The Stillest Hour, he leaves behind the big band sounds and surrounds himself with a small and highly accomplished team of musicians. They were Bill Risby on piano and keyboards, guitarist James Muller, drummer Hamish Stuart and bass-player Jonathan Zwartz.
The title track, written by Nashville-based Ford Turrell, sets the tone for the entire album. "The dark night rolls on with all her power," goes one line. Recounts Carl, "It's got a strong image. To me, the ‘stillest hour' is the romancing hour — after midnight, when it is really quiet, and when I feel the most creative."
Friday April 24 brings this romancing hour to life with the release of The Stillest Hour. Carl will be signing copies of The Stillest Hour and performing songs from it acoustically at the below personal appearances.
Friday April 24 - Virgin Myer (Lonsdale Street Building), Melbourne – 1pm
Sunday April 26 - Mall Music, Warringah Mall - 12:30pm
Thursday April 30 – HMV Upper Stage Queen Street Mall, Brisbane - 12:30pm
Saturday May 2 – Borders Highpoint SC, Melbourne - 1:30pm
Wednesday May 6 - Sanity Garden City Shopping Centre, Booragoon, Perth - 4pm (signing only)
Sunday May 10 – Sanity MacArthur Shopping Centre, Sydney - 11:30am
For Carl Riseley fans in Adelaide if you purchase the album from The Muses, Dillons Norwood or Angus & Robinson Burnside you will receive two tickets to an exclusive showcase on Monday May 4 at Norwood Live.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum