So You Think You Can Cook?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: So You Think You Can Cook?

Post by Yvonne on Tue 30 Dec 2008, 1:08 pm

Oh I reckon I could start up a shop with all the lovely smelling stuff that I have gotten in the past and again this year- lotions and perfumes ( I received Kylie Minogue's "Darling", I do love it myself- all that kind of stuff. I am so well catered for in that department and those kinds of shops would feature in my faves- along with Diva(the jewellery store), JB Hi Fi and Borders bookstores.

I got a Myer gift voucher,and money as well.

I have to admit though that the lead up to Christmas was frenetic and now I will admit to feeling a little bit flat now it is over. Good thing about it all though, is I have actually been able to have a few sleep ins, something that has not been able to happen in ages. I am always such an early riser.

Somebody I know certainly had the Christmas spirit happening, I got lots of hugs from him leading up to Christmas and in front of the boss too.Boss has been making remarks about us ( just slotting them in the convo every now and then). I have my suspicions that he is trying to matchmake us- not that that really bothers me, as we do get on like a house on fire. He is very affectionate towards me in many ways.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne on Tue 30 Dec 2008, 1:19 pm

We always go to my cousins each Christmas- either the mum's place or her daughters- they only live five mins apart ,but they both live in bayside suburbs- not too far away from the Melb CBD- about forty mins or so all up. Hehe someone heard me say I was spending Xmas at the beach and he wanted to come along. Well I say they live at the beach, but it is about 10-15 mins walk away and by the time we eat and catch up, open the presents etc, the children are tired and don't want to do anything like that- mind you we could all do with the walk, it would be good for us after eating ourselves silly. The eldest one did his very first year of school this year, so we have lots to talk to him about now, lovely little boy that one, the little one maybe is not as affectionate as the older one, but we will see what happens once he begins school, still a lovely little boy though.

Hehe I joked and said well you can come, but you will have to buy quite a few gifts. He really must have thought I was talking about one of the peninsula beaches- either the Mornington or Bellarine ones- nope just the suburban bayside area.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Sat 03 Jan 2009, 2:52 am

Glad to hear everyone's Christmas feasts were a success and nothing was burnt or worse - undercooked (I've had this nightmare situation with turkey). Now that I'm back from holidays I've had to familiarise myself with my kitchen again. It took me several minutes to recognise the stove but it was an emotional and tearful reunion with my coffee perculator, how I'd missed him!

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Tue 13 Jan 2009, 8:11 am

Hehee - the coffee percolator!!
My b/f gave me a really shmancy one for Christmas!! giggle
That sounds both sexist and unromantic, but it was exactly what I'd wanted and craved for and lusted after, for months... cloud9
Now all I have to do is work out how long it takes to froth the milk, before you get a cappucino-type foam!! What a Face (I'm technically primitive.)

I'm with you Yvonne - there is a bit of a letdown after all the festivities of Christmas and when you take down all the decorations and go back to normal. Sad
Beautiful puss says hello - well she just jumped up and almost pulled out the cable!! She just wants to be patted.

I'm beginning to think gift vouchers are the way to go. If you choose a store you know the recipient likes, you can't lose really!! cheer
You received some lovely pressies Yvonne!! star
sensor

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Wed 14 Jan 2009, 12:10 am

No fancy shmancy espresso coffee machine for me where you need a degree in physics to drive the thing! I grind the coffee, add water, and listen it perk. I have given up asking for a flat white in cafes as it always comes out frothy (why call it flat? If I want a cappucino that's what I order! sheesh) and instead order a 'long black with milk on the side' and invariably have to get the waitperson to pour some coffee out the cup so I can fit in a substantial dollop of milk! Rolling Eyes Have fun with your lustful milk frothing Sensor I wish I had some useful tips for you on that but I got nuttin! Except a friend uses a little bar size battery operated frothing-tool and says it works a treat Very Happy

Anyway I just came on here to say that I really hate peeling potatoes. afraid I just thought I'd share that with you all.

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Wed 14 Jan 2009, 7:37 am

Seriously, I had to read The Instruction Booklet - a tome!! - for hours before I even dared turn the coffee-machine on!!
Totally intimidating!! What a Face

Between us, surely we must have the brain-power to invent a potato-peeling contraption that stops all this drudgery!!
Any ideas??? scratch
I reckon that invention would make us multi-millionaires, not to mention beloved amongst our female fraternity. (Can you have a female fraternity?? giggle )

My worst peeve is when you have your potatoes in a basket, or whatever, and one goes bad...aggghhhh, that foul, foul reek. Makes me vomit.

PS I often use recipes that tell you not to peel em!! I have a nice recipe for roasted potatoes, where you cut kipflers in half, lengthways - rather like fingers - then coat them lightly with olive oil and a bit of ground black pepper, then roast em on a lighly-oiled baking tray. No peeling required and they're yum. Yay!! giggle My kinda cookin!! Razz
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Thu 15 Jan 2009, 1:40 am

Yeah I used to waste time peeling spuds and slicing chips but now I do 'wedges' with the peel and my kids love them. To coat them I put the wedges in a plastic bag with a dollop of olive oil and some paprika or cayenne for colour and give the bag a good shake. Then it's on to a baking tray lined with baking paper (which I've discovered only recently as a substitute for aluminium foil which everything would stick to) and there's no need for any extra oil.

I cooked two meals today - one for the kids: Apricot Chicken and one for my and nearest and dearest: Thai Red curry. But he rang me in the arvo to tell me not to cook anything for him as he'd been eating all day at work meetings! Rolling Eyes

He couldn't resist the red curry smell though and finally had a rather late supper. Alone. Cool

And I think that would be a sorority Sensor giggle

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Thu 15 Jan 2009, 7:46 am

Ooh what a great idea with the wedges. I'm doing that from now on!!

I do try not to do much pan-frying, but for lamb cutlets, I just HAVE to... giggle
Apricot Chicken - I'm with your kids - it's one of my favs too.

Men. You slave over a hot stove and they go and shovel it in at work!! giggle I bet his curry wasn't as tasty, eating all by himself. Neutral
Luckily my b/f works in an environment where the food is RE-volting - stale sandwiches, calorie-ridden cakes and slices, packets of chips and hot chips with gravy - so he looks forward to a decent meal. I have to say, when it's as hot as it is now, I often do salads, with either fish or chicken as the main.

Sorority - yes!! lmao

I was on a cricket forum the other day, and showed off by telling them about your kynodesme!! banana2
I didn't even get one bite.
Some cricket freaks have no imagination... No
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Thu 15 Jan 2009, 10:08 am

I really hate peeling potatoes too! I'm allergic to raw potato - usually within seconds of touching it my skin becomes inflamed. I didn't wear gloves the other day when making a roast dinner so I'm suffering the consequences now. No
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Fri 16 Jan 2009, 2:25 am

What? No one was interested in the kynodesme? Did you include the fluffy microfiber ball cleaning cloth? Anyhow just leave them to their unimaginative cricket Sensor you can always come on here where music, sport, fashion and food overlap with some mind boggling results. You'll always get an enthusiastic response here.

You must keep a supply of those disposable gloves Alty to protect you hands! I can empathise. I suffered from severe dermatitis in my hands as a kid and peeling potatoes would sting like blazes. Awful.

No cooking for me tonight. Dinner and a movie and now, I think, off to bed ... *yawns* .... Sleep

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Fri 16 Jan 2009, 8:21 am

Well of course!! I should've mentioned the fluffy ball-cleaner - what was I thinking!! giggle

We may not have knowledge about all things on this forum, but by gosh, you're right - we all have some amazing ideas, enthusiasm, imagination and mind-blowing answers to everyday issues. No flies on us... snoopy

Ooh dermatitis and allergies - wearing gloves must be awful, especially in the heat. You sound a bit allergy-prone there, alty!! worried

Tonight I'm cooking a chicken and asparagus dish, with the baked potatoes I mentioned earlier, cooked prosciutto on top, and a garlic/cream sauce with chives. It would've been healthy except for the sauce... Embarassed
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top