idol 2007

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

idol 2007

Post by amanda-renee on Thu 26 Feb 2009, 8:15 pm

so a big thankyou to my girl altair for sending me a dvd containing the 2007 wildcard show, and who you are? and rock night. thankyou thankyou thankyou ( sound like marcia my girl altair LOL) anyway.

after re-watching these entire episodes once again i found that i had differing opinions to the first times i watched these guys performances.

basically i have put a lot of crap on tarisai and i really feel for her as she definately has got the voice but unfortunately due to her personality and attitude problem it wrecked any chance she had of winning.

i still believe that brianna was out of her league ( although she reminds me of lily allen a bit and i don't really like her either ) but once again i feel for her as she had the problem of being deaf in a ear.

holly basically one bad song choice at the start of the competition was enough to kill her but i feel had she had the chance to go on could have been really good.

lana i would love to hear now she was so shy and innocent back then but these days i'm sure that she has grown both physically and matured more in the voice and connections to songs etc. life experience adds to understanding of songs so now i believe she'd go further.

nat gauci, looking at earlier footage i really don't know how she won to be completely honest yes she grew as a performance, yes she gained some style tips, but in all her performances i felt her voice was never anywhere near the calibre of tarisai's

ben honestly was really good, during the first time i was watching idol i had many convo's with jodes disagreeing with her opinion but looking back at he's performances he has got great theatricality and put lots of presence and emotion into what he's singing i quite enjoyed re-watching him

mark is a rock god but what annoyed me is Carl got slamed week in week out for doing swing but mark done rock week in week out???? be fair but all in all mark is good at what he does

jacob haha dicko quoted him as looking like a knob on stage and as harsh as it is i totally see where he's coming from i still can't get into jacobs performances even 2nd time round

daniel i quite like also but he seems really quiet but looks really rough and loud possibly from the hairy chest and 5óclock shadow and it sort of puts me off because he sings quite ballad songs where from he's look i expect gruffy loud songs, in saying that love the songs and ballads and some of he's choices were some of my favourite songs so i could get into it.

marty haha AGRO, you know what as bad, and as off tempo with the backing band etc as he is i still really like marty and i don't know if it is because of the singing or just he's cruisey laid back, don't give a $hit attitude but i really get into he's performances

matt is good what can i say, in saying that he still doesn't do anything for me, i don't know why but i still can't get into all the hype that was created for matt corby, maybe if they played him down a bit i might have got a bit more into he's performances but i honestly don't think it would have made a diference for me

and finally CARL!!!!! MMMMM!!!!!
call me bias but absolutely nothing has changed for me at all reguarding Carl, basically i fell in love all over again watching the whole wildcard experience again, the absolute awe and shock Carl was in when they said he's name and just the ammount of gratitude he shows to the judges, band and crowd is amazing, he was and still to this day is the most amazing, truelly nicest person i have ever met, and with how much he grown since the show he honestly 110% should have been the australian idol he's everything an idol should be talented, great stage presences, great humility just everything.

I STILL LOVE YOU CARL FOREVER AND ALWAYS!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2007-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idol 2007

Post by ambercat on Thu 26 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm

I did enjoy reading that amanda!!! yup It brought that fantastic year all back in a big rush for me!!! Your so right... Carl should have won...although really I wonder if he would have done so well if Sony had got hold of him!!! Ralph is really looking after him and he hasn't looked back since I don't think. And I wonder what on earth has happened to Nat? She hasn't had any albums out as far as I know has she? I know she did have problems with Sony or something didn't she? I think if I remember correctly she didn't want to be rushed into putting her album out and there were some dramas... but I would have thought she would have worked through all that now and released something... Maybe she's doing stuff that I know nothing about though... that's possible.. anyway thanks again amanda darl!!! hug

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 3:26 pm

i 100% agree with you amby, there is no way on earth Carl would have done as well with sony as what he has with RCM they really have looked after him, i happy it's worked out the way it has. Carl = love

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Sun 01 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm

I'm glad you finally got your idol dvds from Altair Amanda. Is she planning to come back and visit us here anytime soon I wonder?

As for RCM vs Sony. Big problem with Sony from what I've gleaned is they don't give artists enough artistic control. Whereas Carl seems to have a fair amount of freedom from Universal. But we are talking about record companies and managers here. Would Sony have taken on management also if they'd offered a record deal?

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 3:23 pm

hey angeo,
so far i have only got 1 idol dvd from altair but it worked so she is hot on the job of making up the rest for me waahoo!!!!
she does pop in from time to time but she got a bit put off when paulybazza came back for a bit especially after all the thanh dramá's.
i hope she does come back and chat soon though or atleast leave some post or comment. even if it's just a quote of the day how i miss those.
i'm 100% happy that Carl didn't win as i don't think sony would have given carl much freedom at all, they tend to mould people into what they want not what the actually performer wants to be.

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 6:04 pm

You lucky bugger!! lol I watch some of the past performances on youtube sometimes and I've changed my opinion on a few, especially Marty!

Female
Number of posts : 528

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kristenh222

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 8:22 pm

I loved your thoughts on the 2007 contestants, a-r. Great read. I've got a quiet day coming up tomorrow, so will pop back in and add my 2c.
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 2:50 pm

amanda-renee wrote:so a big thankyou to my girl altair for sending me a dvd containing the 2007 wildcard show, and who you are? and rock night. thankyou thankyou thankyou ( sound like marcia my girl altair LOL) anyway.

You're welcome, girlfriend giggle

"Who you are" ... loved that one because Carl sang Waltzing Matilda and I was sold! giggle

after re-watching these entire episodes once again i found that i had differing opinions to the first times i watched these guys performances.

I haven't watched these episodes all the way through yet - but I'm planning on it! For what it's worth, I'll give my comments about the other contestants now that another season has passed. (and what a season that was for me thud giggle )

basically i have put a lot of crap on tarisai and i really feel for her as she definately has got the voice but unfortunately due to her personality and attitude problem it wrecked any chance she had of winning.

I really, really liked Tarisai and didn't really care that much about her bad attitude. I thought she had a great voice even though divas are usually a case of ho-hum for me. Loved the way she stayed herself all the way through - great to see a gal wear jeans nearly every performance, I really loved her style. I really enjoyed all of her performances, especially Kiss Me.

i still believe that brianna was out of her league ( although she reminds me of lily allen a bit and i don't really like her either ) but once again i feel for her as she had the problem of being deaf in a ear.

Jeepers! Forgot all about Brianna. Having been an alternative dresser myself in my younger days, I don't get excited by ppl's quirky looks and style - I really need to see what they've got sans all the decorations - you can dress up a turkey but underneath it could still just be a turkey. Brianna was a turkey imho.

holly basically one bad song choice at the start of the competition was enough to kill her but i feel had she had the chance to go on could have been really good.

Ahhh Holly. *sigh*

Her performance of 'Easy' in the semi final rounds was one of the most enjoyable performances I've seen on idol. I absolutely loved it. The jeans, the t-shirt, the laid back style - irresistable. Why why why did she pull out Gossip next? Yes, I know she's explained it but ....

I came across her myspace page about six months ago and really enjoyed listening to her songs - nothing there like Standing In The Way of Control so why why why ....

Anyway, I wish her well with RCM. There's so many left-of-centre quirky female singers in the market today, but I think Holly has an edge over them.

lana i would love to hear now she was so shy and innocent back then but these days i'm sure that she has grown both physically and matured more in the voice and connections to songs etc. life experience adds to understanding of songs so now i believe she'd go further.

Lana was a sweet singer - but obviously too young and innocent for me to have taken much notice of her. Felt sorry for her because the musical theatre background was cannon fodder for the judges.

nat gauci, looking at earlier footage i really don't know how she won to be completely honest yes she grew as a performance, yes she gained some style tips, but in all her performances i felt her voice was never anywhere near the calibre of tarisai's

In all honestly, Natalie's voice made me cringe. Every one raved over Man In The Mirror and I did think the start of that performance was good, but as soon as she hit the chorus she lost me. That being said, I really enjoyed her performance of Feeling Good but from then on, I only ever saw glimpses of that in her performances. My biggest problem with Natalie was that I never got a solid idea of what she was all about - not in musical style nor personal style. Given her album is still not out, I don't think SonyBMG ever got it either.

One thing about Natalie, though - she does sound a lot better live.

ben honestly was really good, during the first time i was watching idol i had many convo's with jodes disagreeing with her opinion but looking back at he's performances he has got great theatricality and put lots of presence and emotion into what he's singing i quite enjoyed re-watching him

Ben Ben Ben! Two cracking great performances from him: Mad World and Hide and Seek. Mad World was jaw-droppingly good. I hadn't seen Donny Darko at that stage, but remembered the original MW when Tears For Fears sang it - the DD version was outstanding, and so was Ben when he sang it. I loved everything about his MW performance. I can't remember his other songs - just MW and Hide.

mark is a rock god but what annoyed me is Carl got slamed week in week out for doing swing but mark done rock week in week out???? be fair but all in all mark is good at what he does

Big fan of Mark's in the beginning - absolutely loved Whole Lotta Love and still do but after he left and I looked back on his performances, there was a lot there that I didn't like. Even though I voted for him, in retrospect, I think he deserved to go early. He said in one of his packages that he hides hides his feelings but when he is on stage he lets them out - never really saw that from him. Desperately wanted him to do that on Acoustic Night, instead he sang a honky tonk version of Yellow. Enjoyed the honkified Yellow, but it was an opportunity missed to show a softer, vulnerable side. I did check out his myspace page after idol finished but didn't find anything there worth pursuing - I already have a Jet CD and didn't need Jet V.2. So basically, Mark is someone I originally loved but hindsight found him wanting - just too much 'rock god' and not enough of anything else.

jacob haha dicko quoted him as looking like a knob on stage and as harsh as it is i totally see where he's coming from i still can't get into jacobs performances even 2nd time round

Ha! I loved Jacob - I remember having a little limerick thing going with someone on the idol forum about him. That being said, I loved idol Jacob but knew I would never like post-idol Jacob. I really have very little interest in the BritPop style - and that's what he's into.

daniel i quite like also but he seems really quiet but looks really rough and loud possibly from the hairy chest and 5óclock shadow and it sort of puts me off because he sings quite ballad songs where from he's look i expect gruffy loud songs, in saying that love the songs and ballads and some of he's choices were some of my favourite songs so i could get into it.

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel ... for me, the most intriguingly weird idol contestant ever! On paper, he definitely seemed like someone I could support on idol. Loved his looks - thought he was the most photogenic idol of all series, but it was his performance style I couldn't take to - and he had an annoying falsetto! Although, about half-way through the series, I started listening to the telecast live on internet radio. That's when I really started to like Daniel more - what a gorgeous, soulful voice! That never really came through for me on TV. After that, I started looking back through his performances again - there really was some good stuff there that I didn't get first time around. Lay Your Love On Me and Fragile were outstanding.

marty haha AGRO, you know what as bad, and as off tempo with the backing band etc as he is i still really like marty and i don't know if it is because of the singing or just he's cruisey laid back, don't give a $hit attitude but i really get into he's performances

I wanted to like Marty - after all, he sang Real World at his audition! But I didn't. I think he has a voice you either love or don't. I also didn't think much of his attitude to doing covers - this might sound harsh, but just because you whinge about doing covers on idol, doesn't give you any more credibility - being on idol is what it is. I did like his dress style though! Anyway, I checked out his myspace after idol finished and I reckon his voice is a voice I could never take to, no matter how good his songs are.

Oh one thing about Marty - I really liked the way he played guitar. When I was listening to the telecast over the radio, you could always tell if he was playing the guitar because he has a style that is quite distinct. If he put out an instrumental acoustic album, I would buy it giggle

matt is good what can i say, in saying that he still doesn't do anything for me, i don't know why but i still can't get into all the hype that was created for matt corby, maybe if they played him down a bit i might have got a bit more into he's performances but i honestly don't think it would have made a diference for me

You know, I didn't get into Maaaaaaaatt at all. He had a great talent, and maturity, for picking wonderful songs so I enjoyed what he sang, but I didn't really enjoy listening to him. I'm not really sure how to describe this properly, but most of the time, I found he incorporated too many vocal styles in the one song - his voice was all over the shop, especially when I listened to his performances over the radio. Also, I didn't really like his breathing technique and how he seemed to 'spit out' the first letter/word after taking a breath. I recall he had a dummy spit after Mark criticised his vibrato - in all fairness to Tarisai who was shown warts and all, that dummy spit should have been shown on idol too.

and finally CARL!!!!! MMMMM!!!!!
call me bias but absolutely nothing has changed for me at all reguarding Carl, basically i fell in love all over again watching the whole wildcard experience again, the absolute awe and shock Carl was in when they said he's name and just the ammount of gratitude he shows to the judges, band and crowd is amazing, he was and still to this day is the most amazing, truelly nicest person i have ever met, and with how much he grown since the show he honestly 110% should have been the australian idol he's everything an idol should be talented, great stage presences, great humility just everything.

Carl, Carl, Carl worship ... I didn't pick Carl at the auditions (I hate to say it, but he seemed a bit too nervous at the time for me to enjoy it!) and it wasn't until I d/loaded the mp3 of Home that I fell in love with his voice. Waltzing Matilda was what sealed the deal for me and I really loved the way he was himself all the way through the series. I think he really understood that not everyone is going to like what you do, but it's better to stick to your own style and be yourself, rather than trying to please everyone - because it isn't possible anyway. I think that's really important on idol. Carl was definitely everything an idol should be! And it's great to see him have a career out of it now - he really is wonderful live, and sounds fantastic on CD. Even though I voted heaps for Carl, I'm glad he didn't win and get a contract with Sony.

A word on artistic control - as most ppl know I'm mad for Rob Thomas but even he has had battles with his record company in relation to artistic control. Matchbox Twenty sold millions and millions of records for Atlantic, but when it came to making his solo album, Atlantic tried to tell him what he could and couldn't do (they were more into hip hop artists by this stage) - the battle was so tough for Rob, he even produced a documentary about it called My Secret Record. He said:

"I got to go out and find that line between being a songwriter with integrity and being a force on the radio," he adds. "Trying to figure out that line was what this movie became about." Rob Thomas on his doco My Secret Record

"For me it became about a person who considers himself a songwriter," he says. "That`s what I do. I come down in the morning, I sit down alone with a cup of coffee, and I sit at the piano or with a guitar in the studio and I write."

"I didn't set out to produce a documentary about myself because I don't have enough of me," Thomas said after the screening. "I wanted to see this through because this was an important part of my life. I'm happiest when I'm writing songs, and I'm just trying to find a space between Ashlee Simpson and Beyoncé for a career."

If someone like Rob, who has made millions for his record coy, has to battle for artistic control, what hope do our little virginal idols have with Sony? Very little I would imagine and I think Natalie G learnt that the hard way. I think Carl really showed what he was all about on idol and Universal bought the package as is which is why I'm glad he didn't win.

I STILL LOVE YOU CARL FOREVER AND ALWAYS!!!!

That's a fact! cheer
Altair

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

that was an awesome read alty and although some of our opinions differ i can see where your coming from with some of the things that you said. all in all though we seem to think likewise in the overall picture of what idol produced in the year of 2007.

go carl go carl

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 8:43 pm

I enjoyed reading that too Alty!!! Thanks!!! star

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 7:11 am

Hi guys,
Have been really busy with organising and starting another year of study. What a Face Who knew Music could take up so much time, hehe????

a-r, your thoughts brought back so many memories of 2007; and I've just had a giggle, because I disagree with just about everybody affraid giggle , yet we all fell for Carl!! Lovin that man of ours!!

I thought Tarisai was possibly the worst 'diva' to enter the comp. Her voice had such flaws - she had very little range and flexibility; and her phrasing and breathing were woeful. That said, she had a nice tone occasionally. I always thought the 'attitide' thing was very nasty towards her, since as alty pointed out, plenty of others showed their frustrations as well. It was all geared for ratings. *sigh*

As far as Lana went, I think she was put into the final twelve by the judges? They knew she came from a theatre background and had a weak, sweet little-girl voice. Then they crucified her for it. Always gives me the irrits when the judges do that and I gesture at the TV and tell them so!! giggle

Same as Carl. They knew he was a swing singer, then whined because he always sang swing. Drove me bongo. However, the audience loved him, because they KNEW what they'd be getting from an album. Yay!!
Musically speaking I lurved little Matt. For 16/17 he was a terrific talent.
And I have to admit I thought Natalie, as gorgeous a girl as she was, was average. They billed her as a quirky, left-of-centre singer, but she was simply a pop princess. I wish she'd stayed true to that jazz area she loved so much; and I think her future might've been better secured by doing so.
I loved Ben too. Another young amazing talent.

I guess I love singers with inate musical understanding. That's why I love Carl and Guy Sebastian and even little Matty and Ben.

I've watched some of this year's American Idol and it comprises some of the best talent I've seen in an age. There's a 16 year old girl there, who'd give Pink a run for her money any day of the week; a theatrical dude who has an Elvis look about him and who's simply phenomenal; and plenty more with amazing potential. Why do they all come along in the one year?? Ooh and has anyone seen Paula Abdul? She appears to be whacked off her face almost all the time now. They say it's medication... What a Face
sensor

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 3:17 pm

yeah i have been watching american idol also that 16 year old is awesome and yes she reminds me of pink also, i'm in love with danny gokey and adam they are my fav's anoop dog has to go next surely why they made him part of the top 13 is totally a waste of time to me, he's ordinary.

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 6:58 am

Yeah Danny Gokey is brilliant too! Say what you will about Church singers on Idol shows, but they sure do know how to connect with the audience, on the whole, because they've had years of just that experience. Apparently, there was a bit of a backlash against him on the forums, because ppl felt he was 'using' his deceased wife as fuel. Nice to see he sang a really upbeat MJ song last week, and didn't mention her once, poor guy. And Adam Lambert!! (I think that's his name) Wow!! He's as camp as a row of tents, which has just been 'discovered' and there's been a furore over it, godzknowswhy - and he's in a class of his own.
What d'ya reckon about the new female judge? I've been wondering if she might eventually be the replacement for Paula, who while adorable, is a space cadet, and really wandering.
Anyhoo, it's been a great watch, so far!!
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 8:29 am

yeah i'm sorry but paula is really only there so she can get felt up by simon cowell twice a week she has no real imput for the guys what so ever even simon doesn't understand her, leave kara she has good constructive critisism and we can always do with that on the show other then simon's i didn't like it point blank approach.

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 1:45 am

Haha. This might as well be the cricket thread for what I know about American Idol giggle but it's so great to see you back on here Sensor banana dance banana2 cheer yay for Sensor! Rah rah rah! cheer cheer

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 7:52 am

Almost finished the dvd's (thanks again Amanda)

Just thought I'd add in a few quick comments!

I must say, I enjoyed Natalie's performances much much more watching them now, than I did then. I always liked her voice and style, but I guess I've seen something else in her that I didn't see before. Her big band performances were breathtaking!
Then again, I quite enjoyed Daniel whilst Idol was on, but watching his performances again, he just seemed a bit blah to me! Maybe it was his song choices...I don't know.

Marty, Marty, Marty....he always made me laugh. He was such a 'take me or leave me' kind of guy - I loved that about him. His style, I think, was one of the most unique I've seen since watching the show. He never really took in or used what some of the judges said, but he always worked so hard and stuck to what he knew he could do! (maybe not in the group performances lol)

I think it was Lana's time to go when she did. She just wasn't showing us what she could do, I believe. When school is out of the way though, I think a career could really take off. She has a very calm and sweet voice.

Matt...I never really know what to say about him....he's got the voice that's for sure, but that's as far as it goes for me - he's not an entertainer! He proved that for me when I went to the Idol Tour. Hopefully he can work on that in the future...

Brianna and Holly....woeful. Can you guess they were my least favourites? Sleep To be brutally honest, I have no idea how they got to where they did in the competition...

Mark was alright...just ok for me. The judges always said he was a stand out but most of the time I didn't see it, sadly! I did enjoy his 'Nutbush' performance.

Tarisai...jeez, where do you start with her? She had an awesome, powerful voice but her vocals sometimes seemed like shouting to me, not singing. Just watched the episodes about the whole 'fake' thing - I agreed back then and I agree now. Maybe her voting fans tended to agree and that's why she left when she did.

To be honest, I wasn't that enthusiastic about Ben when watching Idol, but to watch him perform again now I enjoyed him a lot more than Matt! He may not have a strong a voice as Matt, but he always looked like he really felt what he was singing.

Jacob...I tend to fast forward through most of his performances to be honest! Didn't really see anything likable about him at all Crying or Very sad

So...who have I forgotten? naughty naughty
I could talk about Carl's performances all day, honestly. He's such a natural talent. It might have been MH that said it thud - Carl had grown most in the competition and I agree wholeheartedly. He continued to strive and work so hard at improving different aspects of his performances, vocal etc. Especially for only having been singing for a short time - you wouldn't know by the end of the competition. I think even if you weren't a Carl fan then, you would be crazy not to see that or acknowledge it.
I kept saying that year - Carl should have won, Carl should have won ... or at least got to the Opera House final... but I must say I'm content with Carl not winning because we may not have seen the star he is now.
Where the heck is Nat and Matt? huh

Anyway, loved re-watching this series!!

Female
Number of posts : 528

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kristenh222

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 10:12 am

That was a great review Kris!! It's funny how with distance, we often see things differently from how we first did.
I think there's been a problem with Natalie and Sony - artistic differences as they say; and from what's been written on the AI forums, she's having trouble promoting her career. It seems there's often a struggle between artists and their record companies. Coldplay, Kings of Leon, just to name two. Getting the right match often seems difficult. Thank goodness Carl found a great match!! yup

Matt is doing v well it seems, and has been both in London and New York, gigging and putting himself out there.
I hope they all do well - I guess that's what they're there for and they just want to make a career out of their passion.
Totally agree about Brianna, Holly and Jacob. B had a certain quirkiness that wasn't ever going to be exploited on AI, but they were all pretty average for me too.

If you can youtube their performances yet, I think you might like Adam Lambert from Am Idol. He's the best thing I've seen in a very long time. There's also a girl named Megan, who's quirky-folk, and a stunning looking girl. Then there's Alison, who might be up there. And Danny. For me, that could be the final three - Danny, Adam and Alison, unless Simon says otherwise. Rolling Eyes (I've prolly just jinxed the lot of em, hehe!!)

Glad you left the best till last!!
On Idol, what I loved about Carl the most, was his ability to pick up techniques quickly and then produce them on national TV! Amazing! And so gutsy. As you said, his improvement was something to see. hearts
So looking forward to the new album!! star
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 10:21 am

Hiya Angeo!! wave
Decided to bludge along and do a couple of years more study, instead of getting a proper job, hehe!! (I actually do lecture part-time and teach students as well though). Now the year has started and I'm a little more organised, I'll be able to drop in and have a sticky more often, hehe!!
Thanks for all those lovely happy emotes. hug
And why would not knowing about cricket stop you from visiting the cricket thread?? It's never stopped me!! giggle
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Thu 19 Mar 2009, 1:59 am

Thanks Sensor but I'll stick to what I know - smutty, debauched banter about Carl. I do recall getting into the cricket thread and contributing a bit of smutty banter there too - with your enthusiastic participation I might add.

And I don't think you can call study a bludge when it costs you an arm and a leg in fees.

But hey, I guess being a teacher of music and a student, you are in the enviable position where you can call watching Oz or Am Idol either part of your research or studies Very Happy

That was an excellent precis on Oz Idol 2007 - now write a 18,000 word dissertation on the physical attributes and obvious charms of the third place contestant of the same series. yup

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Thu 19 Mar 2009, 6:55 am

We do do Smutty quite well don't we! Shocked What a Face It was all HER fault Officer!! Razz

You never know, I might even write a book about Am and Aus Idols!! giggle

I've just been having a look at Carl's physical attributes - well I was leering at that gorge photo of him on the front page - and he just grows better with age, like a fine wine.
Excuse me while I go and get drunk...

Anyhoo, watched Am Idol last night and saw THE most unbelievable performance of a song I've ever seen on any Idol show ever.
It was Country night and Adam Lambert, whose singing voice is so good it isn't even in dispute, did the whackiest performance of Ring of Fire I've EVER heard/seen.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He turned it Indian, with zither accompaniment and this unbelievable Indian wail/moan/ecstasy. Come to think of it, he might've been ON ecstasy!! I still don't know if it was genius, (arrangement-wise it was), or bloody insane. jump3 It'll certainly polarise peeps.
Might have to throw Chris into the mix, after last night's showing. He's so cu-ute and might win the Ladies. cheer
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 1:25 pm

Oh wow! Adam Lambert is absolutely amazing! I hadn't been following AmI this year, but I am now! Just downloaded all his videos - stunning performances! worship

ROF was brilliant - one of my favourite performances from any idol.
Altair

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Sat 21 Mar 2009, 7:41 am

Well I have to say alty, your liking of Adam Lambert has thrown me for a loop. I guess I didn't think you'd be a fan, since he's sometimes a bit OTT. giggle
Musically speaking, he's so far ahead of the others, there's daylight in between. Apparently he comes from a theatrical background - he was actually doing the lead role in Wicked before he entered Idol.

He's just an outstanding performer, and for me, definitely the best to come out of AmI, apart from Carrie Underwood, (and I loathe most country music!! She sang on the verdict show, seated on a chair; and sang a glory note four times throughout the song, each time perfectly, and with no effort at all. And she's putting much more emotion into her songs now, than she ever did when she was actually an Idol contestant. She is a freaking superstar, that one, and recognised now as such in the country music community.)

Randy Jackson said on verdict night that Adam had done the Jeff Buckley version of Ring of Fire. I was stunned. I consider myself a bit of a Buckley 'expert'; I've even been able to procure some really rare stuff of his; but I've NEVER heard him sing ROF. JB DOES do the Sufi chant a lot though; and it's part of his music, so Randy could be right... scratch
I'll have to revisit my JB collection when I have some time...

I'm so looking forward to Motown night next week and what Adam might come up with for that ... Godz only knows!! giggle
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 1:36 pm

I am just personally waiting for Michael Johns from last years Am Idol, to release his music, which I believe is very soon. He sings a stunning duet with Brooke White called "Life Is Okay", it is on a soundtrack called, I think "Don't Look Down".

Carl and Michael- must haves in my music collection. I don't have Foxtel, so I cannot comment on any one from this new series.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

I never ever got into Jacob's performances at all, nope for me, the standout performer was and always will be Carl.

I am not even one bit excited about Wes's album, I saw it in the shops and I thought oh yeah, whatever, but that is just me. Doubt I would purchase anyone's cd from last year.

Yvonne

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 3:45 pm

I bought Thanh's EP which I listen to all the time - he signed it for me and wrote a lovely message on it too cloud9 . He's off to LA next month to finish off his album. But he's the only one from last year that caught my eye.
Altair

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 3:53 pm

It seems that Michael Johns's album is due out on June 2, but the single on March 31. Yay more good stuff to look forward to, I love Michael.

You know that I would also love to see him working with Shannon someday.

let us just get Carl's cd first.

Yvonne

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

sensor wrote:Well I have to say alty, your liking of Adam Lambert has thrown me for a loop. I guess I didn't think you'd be a fan, since he's sometimes a bit OTT. giggle
Musically speaking, he's so far ahead of the others, there's daylight in between. Apparently he comes from a theatrical background - he was actually doing the lead role in Wicked before he entered Idol.

He's just an outstanding performer, and for me, definitely the best to come out of AmI, apart from Carrie Underwood, (and I loathe most country music!! She sang on the verdict show, seated on a chair; and sang a glory note four times throughout the song, each time perfectly, and with no effort at all. And she's putting much more emotion into her songs now, than she ever did when she was actually an Idol contestant. She is a freaking superstar, that one, and recognised now as such in the country music community.)

Randy Jackson said on verdict night that Adam had done the Jeff Buckley version of Ring of Fire. I was stunned. I consider myself a bit of a Buckley 'expert'; I've even been able to procure some really rare stuff of his; but I've NEVER heard him sing ROF. JB DOES do the Sufi chant a lot though; and it's part of his music, so Randy could be right... scratch
I'll have to revisit my JB collection when I have some time...

I'm so looking forward to Motown night next week and what Adam might come up with for that ... Godz only knows!! giggle

Oh no, I definitely love Adam! He is OTT but he backs it up with an enormous amount of talent. I am very cynical when it comes to contestants/singers who position themselves as 'alternative' in style because it often masks a lack of talent and having trod the punk/goth/alternative route myself, I'm all for self-expression - nothing phases (or shocks giggle ) me in that regard. Thankfully with Adam, he has the look, style and the talent all wrapped up in one very exciting package. It must be amazing to watch him perform in the context of the show. Makes me want to get on the phone to Foxtel! rotfl . Can't wait to see what he does with Motown worship

I haven't sourced out Carrie's results show footage yet - must do that soon.
Altair

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo on Tue 24 Mar 2009, 1:19 am

Altair wrote:I bought Thanh's EP which I listen to all the time - he signed it for me and wrote a lovely message on it too cloud9 . He's off to LA next month to finish off his album. But he's the only one from last year that caught my eye.

We went to Bankstown for a Vietnamese meal of Pho today and every second shop wall had posters with Thanh's face smiling out. I immediately thought of you Altair.

The posters were in Vietnamese and I didn't take note of dates but there were two concerts, Sydney and Melbourne with other Vietnamese artists performing with him.

By the way the Pho was yummy.

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor on Tue 24 Mar 2009, 8:21 am

Ooh Yvonne, I love Michael Johns too!! He has a great rocky sound. Such a stunner and a nice guy as well.
On Am Idol the other evening, they introduced a new 'feature' into the show:
When the loser is eliminated and has sung their song for the last time, the Judges can now have a live conference to see if they want to 'save' them. (Actually, I'm not sure now, if it's just the eliminated one, or either of the bottom two.) They can only 'save' once per season; and one of the reasons for doing it, is to counter 'shock' eliminations. Michael Johns' name was actually mentioned in their spiel about it, as was Constantine's.
I can see it all turning into a ratings-winning drama though... Rolling Eyes

Trouble with Michael Johns and Shannon is they'll be in direct competition for a while!! frantic
I'm sure they'll both survive... giggle
I'm with you Yvonne - I'll be buying CARL'S album - woohoo!!!; and MJ's; and I'll be passing by Wes' I'm afraid...

Alty, seeing Adam Lambert in the show's context is a revelation, because he's in a completely different orbit than the rest - and there's a lot of talent in this particular season. He has a stellar history in theatre; but I don't know if Simon can take his pop-blinkers off for a moment and see Adam's potential in a whole new market. worried
I think he'll be in the final three perhaps, but I just don't see the judges 'saving' him if he gets the boot. Sad

Thanh sounds busy!! He's going to sound gorgeous recorded. It's great to hear he's in the process of living his dream. hearts hearts
sensor

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 11:12 am

Constantine was another that I really liked on Idol.

I love this song so much of Michael Johns and Brooke White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzmsQA8013c

Yvonne

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down