Carl Riseley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE RISE

+14
Elise.
norahs1
Yvonne
sensor
Admin
Angeo
ambercat
cmcrae0
carlfanatic07
amanda-renee
Floss
Altair
monetgo
Kris
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

THE RISE - Page 3 Empty Re: THE RISE

Post by Yvonne Sat 03 May 2008, 3:03 pm

Now I am so sure that that song LFIL was from a movie, don't ask me which, but I knew the song instantly as soon as I heard it. No idea who actually sang it in the very beginning though.

You know Rhonda Burchmore is singing "Pure Imagination" on her brand new cd, Rhonda is good and everything, I have always liked her in the things I have seen her in like "Hot Shoe Shuffle" and "Mamma Mia" to name a couple of things, her version is good, but it lacks one thing, it is not Carl's, his wins hands down and always will in my book.

Carl's version sends you somewhere else, it is so gorgeous.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Sat 03 May 2008, 4:41 pm

I've had Diana Krall's version of LFIL on my MP3 for ages but I love Carl's version so much more. Mmmmm-hmmmm.
Angeo
Angeo

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Sun 04 May 2008, 7:18 pm

The Rise debuted at No. 5 on the ARIA charts! THE RISE - Page 3 Yippee

Congratulations, Carl! So happy for you! THE RISE - Page 3 Bananajig
Altair
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor Sun 04 May 2008, 7:26 pm

Brilliant news!!

Carl must be ecstatic. Talk about our Swing King!!
sensor
sensor

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Sun 04 May 2008, 8:26 pm

05/05/2008
* 5 - NEW 5 THE RISE Carl Riseley MER/UMA

congrats carl,
truely amazing job geting your cd to debut at number 5 on the aria chart that is music to my ears. hopefully we can get it to number 1 for you next week love you lots
xxx
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by traxlmaz Sun 04 May 2008, 9:07 pm

CONGRATULATIONS CARL ON YOUR #5 DEBUT ON THE ARIA CHARTS!!

I almost fell off my chair when I saw the charts I was so excited and proud of you!

Meet Australia's very own Swing King!!
traxlmaz
traxlmaz

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Sun 04 May 2008, 9:11 pm

:cheers: WOOOOHHOOOOOO!!!! OH YEAH! CONGRATULATIONS CARL!!! :cheers:
monetgo
monetgo

Female
Number of posts : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun 04 May 2008, 9:27 pm

I can't congratulate you enough Carl. Well done. It will reach number one surely!!
Kris
Kris

Female
Number of posts : 528

http://www.myspace.com/kristenh222

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sun 04 May 2008, 10:06 pm

WOOHOO!!!! THE RISE - Page 3 Bananarow

oh how cool is that?!!! Number 5!! All that hard work (and all our voting!! lol) has paid off for our gorgeous Carl and how proud of him are we!!!! I'm soooo happy right now!!!! THE RISE - Page 3 Wee

THE RISE - Page 3 Ariachart
ambercat
ambercat

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Sun 04 May 2008, 11:34 pm

This is wonderful news. I didn't even know the Arias were on the horizon. Let alone anything about voting? How did we vote? :confused:

I knew we'd see him at the next Arias :cheers:
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Sun 04 May 2008, 11:44 pm

...Ooh I just had a look. The little asterisk means he's a bullet performer.

I'm just so proud.

THE RISE - Page 3 Bounce016
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sun 04 May 2008, 11:48 pm

Angeo wrote:This is wonderful news. I didn't even know the Arias were on the horizon. Let alone anything about voting? How did we vote? :confused:

I knew we'd see him at the next Arias :cheers:
Lets hope we see him at the next Arias Angeo!!! Very Happy oh and I was actually talking about us voting for him on Idol!! ;)
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Mon 05 May 2008, 12:36 am

We will see him at the next Arias!
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Mon 05 May 2008, 12:52 am

ambercat wrote:WOOHOO!!!! THE RISE - Page 3 Bananarow

oh how cool is that?!!! Number 5!! All that hard work (and all our voting!! lol) has paid off for our gorgeous Carl and how proud of him are we!!!! I'm soooo happy right now!!!! THE RISE - Page 3 Wee

It was like a dream come true seeing Carl's name on the charts! :cheers:

When I first listened to his CD I started smiling as soon as the chorus for LFIL kicked in ... and then, for the first couple of songs, it just felt a bit surreal to be listening to his debut album ... especially after all that weekly stress of idol and then wondering and worry about what was going to happen next Shocked . It was an absolute pleasure to support/vote for Carl during idol ... and now he has put out one heck of a CD for us to enjoy. The first of many I hope! :sunny:
Altair
Altair

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Clayford27 Mon 05 May 2008, 3:15 am

OMG! Number 5! That's amazing! I'm so happy and proud of Carl, he must be ecstatic right now!! I'm also excited that Damien's came in at number three...what a great Idol week! :)

CONGRATULATIONS CARL!!!
Clayford27
Clayford27

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 05 May 2008, 11:49 am

Carl has a feature in this weeks ok magazine, from page 66

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 05 May 2008, 2:13 pm

There are just so many excellent cd's out right now- I just bought Kate's also, it is brilliant
as is Damien's. I think we have every reason to feel really good about our music industry right now. And to think they are always ready to put Idol down.

I know all these cd's are covers of songs, (not all of Kate's are though), but the interpretations of all these extremely fine artists of these timeless tunes are second to none. All incredibly amazing albums to add to the collection.

I love the fact that Carl has the same management as Kate and Vanessa as they are two of my faves of the Aus music industry as well.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 05 May 2008, 4:43 pm

A certain K-Mart near me should be ashamed of themselves. They do not have Carl's to buy as yet.Can you believe it.

Disgusting I think.

Also they do not have Kate's, Damien's, Brian Mcs out either, they have Leona's though.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Mon 05 May 2008, 9:15 pm

I went over to Wikipedia to have a look at what they had on Carl and found this!! Carl talks about each song and how he chose it and what it means to him... wish he could have got to final 2 in Idol after what he says here!! Very Happy

The Rise
In 2008, Carl Riseley is embarking on the next step in his career as a modern day crooner by signing on to legendary manager Ralph Carr (Vanessa Amorosi, Kate Ceberano).

The year will see the release of Carl’s debut album ‘The Rise’, as well as some exciting live performances and plenty of that characteristic swing style. Hailed as the next Harry Connick Jnr, there is no argument that the future is bright for this young and incredibly talented musician.

Tracklisting
1."Let’s Fall in Love"
“John Foreman picked this song. We made it the first track on the album because we feel it really captures the vibe of the album. It has a great monologue and strong section at the start, which captures the ballads, then it comes in with the big band swing section, with the brass, and that is the overall feel of the album. It is an awesome tune. I didn’t really know it until John played it to me in January but I loved it straight away. My memory of this will always be sitting in John’s home studio and coming up with new arrangements with him.”

2. Pure Imagination
“This song always reminds me of Friday afternoons, when I was aged about seven. Mum used to work late on Fridays and Dad would pick us up from after school care. The only thing he could cook at the time was those little red boiled sausages. We called them Cheerios and we ate them with tomato sauce. Dad would cook them for us and we eat as many Cheerios as we wanted while we sat and watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

3. Lido Shuffle
“Aaah Lido… my Dad is a massive Boz Scaggs fan. He used to play this kind of song all the time. I really wanted a shuffle on the album and this was the perfect choice. This was definitely my parent’s influence.”

4. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is
“Oh well… this has come from Dad too. One of Dad’s fave bands is Chicago. When he was young, he used to play in a cover band. He was the trumpet player and back up singer. They were always doing Chicago tunes.”

5. We’ve Only Just Begun
“I called Mum in late December and told her I was thinking about tunes for the album. I told her I wanted a really nice ballad that slightly more mature ladies would like. I asked what her favourite tune was and she said We’ve Only Just Begun by the Carpenters. I listened and came up with a couple ways to do it. This is for Mum. It’s really special.”

6. Reminiscing
“This is a really famous song in the trumpet world. There is an awesome flugelhorn solo at the end. I wanted to put a few tunes on the album that I had done on Idol. We came up with a good arrangement and it ended up being really good. I thought it would be nice to have on the album.”

7. Girl from Ipanema
“Before I went on stage for the announcement of the Idol Top Two, I said to John, ‘mate if I get through to next week, I’m going to do Girl from Ipanema and pull a girl up on stage, sit her on the stool and sing this to her.’ We talked about how we could change it. Well, I never got the chance, but we thought we’d stick it on the album and do what we wanted to do anyway.”

8. This Guy’s in Love with You
“This was the choice of Peter Karpin from Universal Music. What I love is that whenever I play this to people, they all know the song, but they never know when they last heard it, who sang it, what it’s called… they just know they have heard it before. No-one really knows anything about it. It was written by Burt Bacharach and sung by Herb Alpert.”

9. The Letter
“It is a really good choice by Ralph Carr, but I also have a great memory of this song. I put a band together in year 12 called Affirmation, which was the same name as my Dad’s band in his early twenties. One of the songs we did – one of our better tunes, was The Letter. We didn’t do it in the big band vibe back then. I was just mucking around. My friend and I had no clue… we both would try to sing it like Joe Cocker with the big raspy voice.”

10. Time After Time
“I was at John’s house just after Christmas last year and the New Year’s Eve gig came up for Channel Ten. The theme was Time and they said they wanted me to sing a song that referenced time. I had no clue, but then we found this. One of my biggest Jazz influences is Vince Jones and he sings this on one of his albums. It is a bit of a tribute to him and how he helped me learn how to sing Jazz.”

11. Smooth Operator
“This was actually Peter Karpin’s choice. It’s one of his favourite songs. We thought we would muck around with it and I love it.”

12. Waltzing Matilda
“This was the first song I did in the Top Twelve of Idol. The theme of the show was ‘show us who you are’. The first thing I thought was that I am Australian and proud. This was the first song I thought of. I did it in a swing vibe and just had to put it on the album. We used a James Morrison arrangement. He is on the album, and he plays a cracking solo. I played with him once when I was 12, so it was amazing to have him there. He is a hero and I look up to him and now he is on my album. It’s great.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_%28album%29
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Mon 05 May 2008, 11:12 pm

thanks so much, amby.

I was curious about how some of the choices came about ... especially Smooth Operator, which is an all time favourite of mine (I'd love it if Carl records another Sade song one day, perhaps Jezebel or Sweetest Taboo I love you ). Well done to JF, too, for suggesting Let's Fall In Love ... I was going to skip straight to Smooth Operator but showed some restraint and played the CD from the beginning - glad I did too, because everything that Carl said about it capturing the vibe of the album was bang on. THE RISE - Page 3 274336
Altair
Altair

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Mon 05 May 2008, 11:55 pm

His dad's had such a huge influence on him hasnt he...big thanks to Earnest!! ;)

And I agree Alty....starting the album with Lets fall in Love is just perfect...sets the mood for the whole album!
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sensor Tue 06 May 2008, 5:24 am

Thanks for posting this amby.
What lovely stories they are. Nice tribute to Carl's Mum and Dad...he seems so close to them.
And he sounds so proud and happy when he talks about each song.
When I first heard LFIL, I was astounded at how much his voice had improved; and where he was taking it to...fell in love with the lower register he was using so well...yum!! I love you
sensor
sensor

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Clayford27 Tue 06 May 2008, 9:17 am

My Carl cd came in the mail today!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED! I'm so pumped, it's amazing! I'm so proud of Carl! :)

And ambercat, thanks for posting that, that's awesome!
Clayford27
Clayford27

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Tue 06 May 2008, 9:39 am

Hehe I was playing my cd loudly when my brother rang yesterday and he wanted to know who it was.

I also sent a thankyou letter to a friend who sent me a tattslotto ticket and told her I had had a real splurge on cd's and bought Carl's I told her how wonderful it is and what else I had bought and how good I thought those were too and how mum and I met him last week.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Tue 06 May 2008, 2:42 pm

how good would it have been if carl made it to the top 2 and done the girl from ipanema and pulled one of us up from the crowd to sing to "ahhh sighs"i think i would have well and truely fainted on the poor guy. hehe. ( mouth to mouth anyone LOL)
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female
Number of posts : 877

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Tue 06 May 2008, 6:49 pm

I think that Peter Karpin have a good taste of songs (hehehe), Smooth Operator and This Guy's In Love with You are two of my all time favourite songs. I love Carl's reminiscing of his childhood and did Pure Imagination.....woohooo Cheerios!!!! Carl will always be a boy at heart!SmileyCentral.com
monetgo
monetgo

Female
Number of posts : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by mumsafantoo Fri 09 May 2008, 2:05 pm

Well, I have been a good "mums" ..... the Album was tooo late for my birthday (thanx for the messages guys!) but only two more days till Mothers Day and the family would have to be deaf dumb and blind not to know what to get me. From all the reviews here I can't wait - not that any of us are biased of course.

This should be a great Mothers Day !!!!!!!!

P.S Do youy think that all the Mothers Day sales of the Rise will push it up the charts? - I HOPE SO :queen:

mumsafantoo

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 May 2008, 7:53 pm

the cd sits on my side table...so i can c da pic wen i wake up in the morning and go 2 sleep at nite i can c it! oh and on the other side, on my wall there is a poster of him!

....im surrounded by carl.................................................................................................................Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat 10 May 2008, 9:23 pm

Mine is still sitting in the dvd player ;)
Kris
Kris

Female
Number of posts : 528

http://www.myspace.com/kristenh222

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sun 11 May 2008, 10:17 pm

The Rise is still hanging in there at number 5 again this week!!! WooHooooo!!!!! THE RISE - Page 3 Wee I wonder how many cds have been sold then? I'd love to see how many other Carl fans there are in Australia!! Very Happy
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next