Carl Riseley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us

5 posters

Go down

Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us Empty Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us

Post by monetgo Fri 13 Jun 2008, 6:46 pm

Thought would open this topic for Carl's future reference (that if he needs one....who knows..maybe Very Happy )

Hi Carl, as a big fan of 'brass', what i would love to see you doing next is an 'instrumental solo flugelhorn/trumpet performance' all the way, you know, the likes of Chuck Mangione (who's baby is his flugelhorn too) doing 'Feel So Good' and Herb Alpert with his 'Rise' (have you heard of this one?).
By the way, i nominated you to perform at the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York twice, your name is already in their artists' list, you can check it at their site, www.bluenotejazz.com
BLUE NOTE JAZZ CLUB, but it's only me i think nominated you and there's heaps of nominations of different jazz artists, so....anyway, Chuck Mangione will be playing there next month July 15-19, and Earl Klugh on August (geezz.... wish i'm there...sigh), Spyro Gyra had theirs two months ago i think.
Anyhoo...love to hear your version of 'Back Doors Crying' (written by Allen - Sager), and 'Baby I Could Be So Good at Lovin' You' (written by Clifford), both songs have trumpets (horns...whatever you call it Very Happy )and both songs were sung by John Travolta...you have no idea how you both sounds alike in these two songs try listening to them if you have time, by the way this is definitely not to mean an insult or anything like that, hope you understand, I love and respect John both as an actor and a singer as well (even Olivia NJ herself encouraged John to become a singer before 'cause she believes in him).
Anyhoo...any plan to do a gig here in Brisvegas again soon? Would you believe there are at least 1,500 people moving in here - the sunshine state - every week? Population is rising indeed, so is the housing/living costs (darn it), not to mention the traffic, but anyway, i guess the more the merrier..so bring it on!
Brisneyland - Gold Coast - probably is the best bet for your next gig - classy like you, plus it's your hometown, at Versace perhaps? :lol: ,just do it Friday or Sunday, so i can definitely go Very Happy and don't forget to 'lie-for-tan-on-the-sand' at surfers paradise after (lol)i'll be there like paparazzo (he he he...joking...joking..geezz...don't get scared now boy!) :lol:
And please do continue your piano 'tinkering', as i would love to see you doing 'full blast' on it on one of your gigs someday - it would really be awesome, i can imagine already - my piano man! Very Happy
So any plan for 'overseas venture' yet? To Las Vegas maybe? Very Happy just do it during January (any day and any year) and i'll be there, as your official paparazzo again! :lol: Anyhoo, i know few of us here doesn't want to let go of you just yet, but for your greater good you need to visit and have a gig at the world's best 'jazz holes' kid...and go have a lot of fun while young, the world is at the palm of your hand at the moment - so go on....make memories...lots of memories kiddo! and don't forget to bring the court jester w/ flugelhorn with you will ya? It's for good luck....that one!
Another thing...maybe you would like to put up your own jazz hole here, blue note is up for franchise at the moment, check out their web, their locations are in prestigious places only - New York, Tokyo, Milan and Nagoya (David Benoit will be there next month) and i'll bet they're dying to put one down here in Australia (maybe Sydney or Gold Coast :lol: ) - so that way you can serenade us your fans everynight or anynight you like. Very Happy

'Little Green Apples' - won Grammy-1969 (year after 'This Guy's In Love With You' released)
'Where Do I Begin (Love Story)' - classic and timeless, #1 in top 1000 songs conducted by 4BH Brisbane last year.

By the way, before i forget, my top three Christmas songs request :lol: Very Happy :
1) It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas by Johnny Mathis
2) Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
3) Merry Christmas Darling by The Carpenters

THANK YOU, MR. CARL RISELEY!

Last edited by monetgo on Sat 14 Jun 2008, 2:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
monetgo
monetgo

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us Empty Re: Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us

Post by monetgo Fri 13 Jun 2008, 9:55 pm

I really think you are the 'answer' that Chuck and Herb been waiting for as their 'next', Carl. Just read their story - Chuck's flugelhorn baby & Herb's serving the defense force (US Army - you, AUS Navy)

Charles Frank "Chuck" Mangione (born November 29, 1940) is a flugelhorn player and composer who achieved international success with his jazz-pop single, "Feels So Good" (1978) featuring guitarist Grant Geissman. Mangione has released more than 30 albums from the early 1960s to today. Born and raised in Rochester, New York, Mangione and his pianist brother Gap led the Jazz Brothers group which recorded three albums for Riverside Records. He attended the Eastman School of Music from 1958 to 1963, and afterwards joined Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, for which he filled the trumpet seat, previously held by greats such as Clifford Brown, Kenny Dorham, Bill Hardman, and Lee Morgan. Mangione served as director of the Eastman jazz ensemble from 1968 until 1972 and in 1970 he returned to recording with the album Friends and Love, recorded in concert with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra and numerous guest performers. His quartet with saxophonist Gerry Niewood was a popular concert and recording act during the early 1970s. Mangione's "Chase the Clouds Away" was used in the 1976 Olympic Games and "Give It All You Got" was the theme to the Winter Olympic Games of 1980, held in Lake Placid, New York. He performed live at the closing ceremonies, which were televised globally. A 1980 issue of Current Biography called "Feels So Good" the most recognized tune since "Michelle" by The Beatles. Recently, smooth jazz stations throughout the United States have recognized Mangione's "Feels So Good" as their all-time number one song. He raised over $50,000 for St. John's Nursing Home at his 60th Birthday Bash Concert, held at the Eastman Theatre in Rochester.
In addition to music Chuck Mangione has had a recurring voice-acting role (how's the Sea Patrol going for Carl's acting :lol: )on the animated television series King of the Hill. In it he portrays himself as a celebrity spokesman for Mega Lo Mart. The first episode of King of the Hill featuring Mangione originally aired on Valentine's Day, 1997. The episode featured an original score specifically recorded for the occasion. He continued to appear in episodes until 2003. Chuck Mangione the character is also in a later episode entitled Lucky's Wedding Suit.
Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us Chuck_Mangione_-_Feels_So_Good

Last edited by monetgo on Fri 13 Jun 2008, 10:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us Empty Re: Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us

Post by monetgo Fri 13 Jun 2008, 10:00 pm

Herb Alpert
Born in Los Angeles, California, Alpert began trumpet lessons at about the age of eight and played at dances as a teenager. Acquiring an early wire recorder in high school, he experimented with recording on this crude equipment. After graduating from Fairfax High School in 1952, he joined the U.S. Army (Carl - Aus. Navy) and frequently performed at military ceremonies. After his service in the Army, Alpert tried his hand at acting (how's the Sea Patrol offer, Carl? :lol: ), but eventually settled on pursuing a career in music. While attending the University of Southern California in the 1950s, he was a member of the USC Trojan Marching Band for two years. He graduated with a BM in 1954.
Alpert's only number one single during this period (and the first #1 hit for his A&M label) was a solo effort "This Guy's in Love with you" (written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David), featuring a rare vocal. Alpert sang this to his first wife in a 1968 CBS Television special titled Beat of the Brass. The sequence was taped on the beach in Malibu. The song was not intended to be released, but after it was used in the television special, thousands of telephone calls to CBS asking about it, convinced label owner Alpert to release it as a single, two days after the show aired. Alpert's vocal skills were limited, but this song also had limited technical demands and it worked for him. The single debuted in May 1968, topped the national chart for four weeks and ranked high among the year's biggest hits. Initially dismissed by the critical cognoscenti and "hip" music-lovers as strictly a housewife's favorite, Alpert's unusually expressive recording of "This Guy's in Love with You" is now regarded as one of the monumental ballads in pop. In 1996 at London's Royal Festival Hall, Noel Gallagher (of British rock band Oasis) performed the song with Burt Bacharach.
"Rise" is a song written by Andy Armer and Randy Badazz Alpert, and first recorded by trumpeter Herb Alpert. The instrumental track was included on Alpert's solo album Rise and released as a single in 1979. It reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in October of that year and remained in the top position for two weeks. Herb Alpert thus became the first (and only) artist to reach the top of the Hot 100 with a vocal performance ("This Guy's in Love with You", 1968) as well as an instrumental performance. The recording also received a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us Herb

Last edited by monetgo on Sat 14 Jun 2008, 7:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Sat 14 Jun 2008, 12:11 pm

Oh I have requests such as anything done by the fabulous Perry Como, such a beautiful mesmerising voice that man had, I love anything and everything he did. Where Do I Begin is an excellent choice too. I have another one, "Spanish Harlem", by Ben E King.

Yvonne

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Sat 14 Jun 2008, 2:48 pm

'Feel So Good' by Chuck Mangione(just listen to this song all the way, it really will make you feel good Very Happy flugelhorn at it's finest ever)

Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione

'Rise' by Herb Alpert

Rise - Herb Alpert
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sat 14 Jun 2008, 6:13 pm

gee you've done lots of hard work and research here monetgo!!!! Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us 274336 I'll have to put my thinking cap on and try and come up with something!! I heard some random song the other day which would have been perfect for Carl, but they didnt say who sang it or what it was called!!! There are just so many awesome songs he could do for us though arent there!! We've got so much to look forward to!!! I'm secretly hoping he's already planning his second album...hope and pray we don't have to wait too long for it!!! I'll have a listen to these songs here tomorrow....off out now!! And Herb Alpert has a song called Rise!! Cool
ambercat
ambercat

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:13 am

I had a bit of a sing song in the kitchen whilst cooking as usual.

Moon River - Carl's already done it but we want it on CD!
Smoke gets in your eyes
Misty - Carl has the vocal range to do those spectacular shifts like he does in Let's fall in love. I've said his one before and after hearing The Rise I really think he could make it sexy sweet.
Now I can't remember what the other one was ...
Oh yes - On the street where you live. Another one he's already done. But it would really need big big band and trumpet solos and Carl's swing arrangement so that it doesn't even remotely sound like the stage musical version (which his arrangement already achieves)

Sorry I haven't really put my thinking cap on for this. Not done the research like Monetgo.
Angeo
Angeo

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 11:38 am

One of the greatest songs in my opinion of all time is Andy Williams singing "Love Story (Where Do I Begin). I have been doing a bit of youtubing and another song I love is Johnny Mathis's "Wonderful, Wonderful", also "Begin The Beguine", "Blue Spanish Eyes", "There's Always Me", "There Goes My Everything", "Spanish Harlem".

I was also just listening to Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy", omg that song never ever fails to make me cry, so beautiful and I have no words for it, other than simply sublime.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 11:47 am

Oh that is awesome suggesting "Misty", I have got Johnny Mathis singing this right now on youtube, it is simply devine and sublime, what a beautiful voice Johnny has, just beautiful, gonna play it again now and I think it would be perfect for Carl. I am crying, this song brings tears to the eyes for sure.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 12:04 pm

I am really enjoying this beautiful Johnny Mathis music, I am listening to on youtube, his voice is totally awesome and mesmerizing and I know I really have to go and find some of his music to add to my collection. I would love to hear Carl do something of his someday.

I know that my mum loves Johnny Mathis's music.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:00 pm

I have just remembered another awesome song that I simply adore and it is Andy Williams' signature tune- "Solitaire". I have it on youtube right now.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:20 pm

there is a young New Zealand lad, Will Martin who is currently doing a version of Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy".

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:25 pm

Oh Yvonne Very Happy ...i'm glad you like Love Story as well...."how long does it last, can love I love you be measured by the hours and a day, i know i need her 'till..." oh...i'm out of tune now (he he he) :lol:
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:37 pm

It is just an absolutely timeless song and I actually think it would be a song that lots of the younger generation may even know.

Do you remember how Courtney Murphy during his time on Idol, was said to have gone through his dad's record collection, well I reckon between the lot of us we could come up with some absolute gems of songs, I was sold of course when Carl sang "Home", but what absolutely sealed it for me was when he performed "Pure Imagination", coupled by the fact that I knew almost every song that he did on Idol. From then on there was just no going back.

Looking at youtube is wonderful too, some absolute classic songs that will never ever die from the Masters are on there. I just totally feel like playing some NKC today. I love how Carl has also provided such inspiration to get back in touch with this timeless music again.

Actually the people at the secondhand shop the other day couldn't believe someone my age knows who Perry Como is, I absolutely adore his music, he has some absolute gems out there. Omg his rendition of "Scarlett Ribbons" which is on youtube is simply to die for.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Mon 16 Jun 2008, 5:17 pm

Carl's new listing of his upcoming shows....so sad Crying or Very sad only NSW so far....

21 Sep 2008 8:00 P
Lizotte’s Restaurant Kincumber, New South Wales
24 Sep 2008 8:00 P
The Vanguard Newtown, New South Wales
25 Sep 2008 8:00 P
The Vanguard Newtown, New South Wales
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Mon 16 Jun 2008, 5:31 pm

Hi Carl, VA will be performing at Kedron Wavell on July 10 after she performs on July 8 at the troubadour, how about you, i reckon Kedron Wavell (Brisbane) is much better venue than The Troubadour, i mean more spacious, i'll be there to see you again if you perform there.
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carlfanatic07 Mon 16 Jun 2008, 7:52 pm

OMG. I don't understand why they haven't put the perth date (10th of July) in his gig listings. We should email them and ask what's going on.
carlfanatic07
carlfanatic07

Female
Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Tue 17 Jun 2008, 7:31 am

Yah...i'm wondering with that one as well too carlfanatic, i saw this list at his myspace music.
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Tue 17 Jun 2008, 11:03 am

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9Tmcjfq_o&feature=related

this is one of the most beautiful, but saddest songs ever recorded. A real gem though.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yvonne Tue 17 Jun 2008, 11:34 am

there are so many positive comments on youtube regarding Andy Williams, Perry Como, Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis's music. I cannot stop crying over Solitaire, it is such a beautiful, sad, emotional song, no one will ever sing it like Andy though- at least not for me. For me it is his song.

My late grandma loved Andy and Perry so much. Such fine looking debonnaire, suave,handsome, polite and charming gentlemen of music too and such wonderful voices, such wonderful prescences on stage, they commanded it.

Quite a few youngsters I see were commenting too, I truly believe it is music that transcends all age groups, it truly appeals to a wide demographic of people. I love it and there is an absolute wealth of fine music out there, music that you just don't hear today, so I thank Carl for bringing it back to us all. Every song on his cd is timeless.

Yvonne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Thu 16 Oct 2008, 10:36 pm

Hi Carl....care to do "No More Cloudy Days" by the Eagles? There's a solo trumpet in that too....though i don't know if it's a flugelhorn, the solo trumpet is at the end of the song, i really love to listen to that part (trumpet) try to listen to it if you have time it's really good Very Happy Songs and Gigs Venues Requests from Us 464738

Last edited by monetgo on Thu 16 Oct 2008, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Thu 16 Oct 2008, 10:52 pm

NO MORE CLOUDY DAYS by The Eagles

Sittin by a foggy window
starin at the pourin rain
fallin down like lonely teardrops
memories of love in vain

these cloudy days
make you wanna cry
it breaks your heart when someone leaves
and you dont know why

i can see that you've been hurt
baby i've been lonely too
i've been out here lost and searchin
lookin for a girl like you

now i believe
the sun is gonna shine
dont you be afraid to love again
put your hand in mine

baby i would never make you cry
i would never make you blue
i would never let you down
i would never be untrue
i know a place where we can go
where true love always stays
theres no more stormy nights
no more cloudy days

i believe in second chances
i believe in angels, too
i believe in new romances
baby i believe in you

these cloudy days
are comin to an end
and you don't have to be afraid
to fall in love again

baby i would never make you cry
i would never make you blue
i would never turn away
i would never be untrue
i know a place where we can go
where true love always stays
theres no more stormy nights
no more cloudy days
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Sun 16 Nov 2008, 1:22 am

hi Carl...i would just like to thank you for giving us your precious time to chat with us last thursday...i enjoyed that! By the way, thanks also for considering to listen to Eagles 'No More Cloudy Days' on your spare time...hope you like it...it's just a shame that the solo trumpet is at the last of the song but i reckon you can modify it by doing it twice...one in the middle of the song and on the last as it is....i always have so much faith in you kid...go Carl!!! Very Happy Can't wait for February banana dance
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down