Carl Riseley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

perth gigs

+7
Kris
monetgo
the8thark
carlfanatic07
ambercat
amanda-renee
Angeo
11 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

perth gigs - Page 5 Empty Re: perth gigs

Post by amanda-renee Wed 08 Oct 2008, 7:34 pm

hey angeo so glad to hear you finally met him HOORAY!!!! and glad to know he thinks of us as family AWE THE RISELEY FORUM FAMILY!!!!!

great reveiw loved it
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Wed 08 Oct 2008, 9:40 pm

Oh Ange love it love it love it hearts ....my grin is up to my ears while reading your beutiful review Very Happy ....you have a gorgeous photo with him, you two look lovely and his arms around you....oh heavenly cloud9 ...he is so adorable....and yah you have a similarity there of our Princess Mary yup ... woowoo.....i am really glad that finally you two met....thanks for the review perth gigs - Page 5 274336 ...you just took me there! perth gigs - Page 5 464738
monetgo
monetgo

Female
Number of posts : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Wed 08 Oct 2008, 11:26 pm

Oh Angeo I loved your review as well!!!!!!! The lead up to the show had me laughing so much!!! hahaha!!!! rotfl And I'm glad to see that your lippy was well and truly on in the gorgeous pic with Carl!!!! wink3 Yes, I agree....he really is gorgeous!!! Thanks soooooo much for sharing your wonderful night with us dance3 snoopy .... and glad you resisted the garlic!!!! giggle
ambercat
ambercat

Female
Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/_ambercat_

Back to top Go down

Post by carlfanatic07 Thu 09 Oct 2008, 11:51 am

Ok, so I found out the lollypop was given to him by some fan and that was after I had left. if you go on to his music myspace and click on tagged photos theres a photo of him with some girls with the lollipop, and if you click her profile, in her thing it says "I gave Carl Riseley a lollypop" so yeah, interesting......lol
carlfanatic07
carlfanatic07

Female
Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Thu 09 Oct 2008, 12:51 pm

Awesome review, Angeo. cheer

Great photo too!

I'm a lot taller than Carl in my photo - I wish he had stood up giggle
Altair
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Thu 09 Oct 2008, 11:20 pm

Thanks C-fan for that bit of trivia. So now we know Strawberry and Cream lollipops aren't necessarily his favourite after all. Although he did look like he was enjoying it when I saw him. Now I'm going to have to post my review of the Charles so people know what we're talking about. Oh boy I can see a long night in front of me. Sleep I still just want to catch up on my sleep.
Angeo
Angeo

Female
Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by carlfanatic07 Thu 09 Oct 2008, 11:21 pm

Oh a review, yay yay yay!!! just don't lose too much sleep!!
carlfanatic07
carlfanatic07

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Thu 09 Oct 2008, 11:30 pm

Never mind sleep Angeo!!!! Just concentrate on the energy from this banana banana dance and get typing!!!!!! banana2
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Fri 10 Oct 2008, 3:47 am

That banana did the trick Amby, all though I feel like my eyeballs are bouncing in their sockets now. I did have to turn my attention away from the banana at times though as it's quite distracting when you're trying to recall details. I'll probably remember more details after posting this. Well it was 5 nights ago now and I was in a dazed, sleepless stupor when it all happened. Anyway here goes.....

Quite late again! It was probably after 9pm when friend J and I got there. Standing outside the entrance waiting for friend H, we spotted Carl’s band bustling around a white van parked further along so figured they'd just got here too. It was freezing so we decided to wait inside and get our drinks. The last few people in the lounge bar headed into the gig so it was just us left when H arrived. We got her drink, exchanged a few girly comments on dress, hair, makeup (women never grow out of this) and then realised we should be going in. The same guy who was the support act at the Fly by Night was there again signing CDs. Missed him twice! Was he any good Alty? CF? The Charles layout was so much better than Fly by Night. It was much more intimate with tables around a small dance floor in front of the stage, and benches and tables with bar stools scattered around the outside. The only place left it seemed was the end of a bench right at the back but I could see the stage clearly. J swiped a Carl poster off the pillar next to us for me to get signed. She was starting to get the hang!

The band were the same line up as FBN except for a different trumpeter, I really wanted to say hello to Troy Roberts as I know someone who has played with him. When Ashley announced Carl, I warned J that she’d probably hear all the same quips and jokes as the previous night and sure enough Carl and Ashley followed the same routine. J moaned ‘Oh no we’re going to hear it all again word for word’. So I pointed out that even Buble used the same routine over and over in all concerts and even rigged incidents like the woman grabbing his ass. But enough arguing! I realised I was missing my Honeyman! So I turned back to the stage, moved my stool closer and enjoyed the show. I wandered around trying to find a closer vantage point for photos but couldn’t get past the tables and benches. There were funny original moments like when Carl couldn’t get his words out right after playing the flugelhorn and said ‘Aw my mouth is all mashed’ then pretending to say the same words even more garbled than before. Yes – he is too cute *sigh*. hearts

At the end of the first set we moved to another bar table over the other side of the room. We moved the table a few metres so it wasn’t so far back from the stage. I also noticed I’d be able to creep along the edge of the dancefloor to take better Carl shots. I could see the crowd better too and looked around for C-fan and Alty but I didn’t have much in the way of descriptions to go by did I?

The second set was a riot. Carl was much more at ease in this more casual environment. I didn’t waste time getting closer to take photos. Before long Carl was on the dance floor dance3 getting people up men and women alike and dancing up a storm. I was snapping away like mad but my camera shutter would freeze up and grind like an old clock and then I’d get a photo of blackness or streaks of light. It was so infuriating when Carl posed for me and the contraption fouled up again. *grrr – blasted stupid camera* I swear I’m going back to using a manual SLR. Here’s the pic anyway. You can see in the long exposure how he was posing so patiently and then giving up in disgust. Poor Honeyman.
perth gigs - Page 5 Rimg0117
They did ‘All the Saints’ trumpet for the ‘request’ again and Carl did the sexiest Sachmo voice and he and Ash fell about laughing. He came down for another twirl and eventually friend H appeared at my side to take my camera saying I should be up dancing not taking photos. ‘Hell yes’ I said but I only got two steps when he jumped back on stage. At the end Carl was roused back on stage for the encore, Highway to Hell. I saw some people looking amazed then amused and then just digging it.

Sadly it was over and I went to the bar to get some water. When I got back H said I’d missed Carl coming up close to our table and that he’d gone to speak to people at a table nearby. I think it might have been some people who were talking to Troy Roberts earlier. So I missed out on the chance for a close up view of him. She also said she saw Carl trip up when he came out the toilets and what a klutz he was. Friend J came back saying she’d had to direct him to the toilets but realised she must have pointed out the ladies. Damn, I just couldn’t be in the right place! Eventually Carl perched himself by the door to sign for people, and from where I was sitting I could see his gorgeous smiling face and at some point a lollipop stick in his mouth. My friend J and I got into an argument about Carl’s original song. She’d remarked at the Fly By Night that it was a bit dreary so I just told her I really liked it and she patronizingly said ‘because you’re a fan’ but I’d let it go then because of my Carl nerves. So again she said ‘L, you are a fan, I am not a fan, the song is dreary and I think someone should tell him it would not be a success as a single’. So I came back that even though I was a fan of Carl’s, I was still objective about his music and that was only her opinion and taste, and anyway he hadn’t said it was going to be his new single, it would be on his next album. But my friend likes to win an argument, no matter how subjective and unfounded. So voices were beginning to rise and it was getting heated. People were starting to look. We caught one man staring but he insisted he was only looking at the screen behind us. It got really down and dirty when I said to her ‘I like jazz, you like Bon Jovi’ and she was visibly riled by that which made me laugh. So I thought enough was enough and gave her a hug. I’d given my point and we’d made a scene, which Honeyman was oblivious to thank goodness.

By now the three of us were very lively and it was hilarious when friend H thought the barman as he went past us was Carl, ‘I wish’ he said. When he came by again I teasingly called out ‘Hey Carl! Oh it's you, never mind you’ll do’. J said she’d rather have him than Carl because he can clean up too. ‘Can you sing too?’ I teased him. The poor guy said we were making him blush but he was grinning hugely. I think it’s such a double standard when a group of women are allowed to give a guy razz like that. I went back to the bar for more water and then the barmaid and I joined leagues and teased the poor barman some more.

So it was altogether a fun night and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Have I forgotten some detail here? Oh of course Carl! Yes well Carl was still at the door, the queue was gone and he was chatting with the girl selling his CDs. My friends urged me to hurry up and talk to him. ‘Yeah, yeah’ I said nonchalantly. Then I heard Carl saying ‘well thanks for everything’ to CD girl, and I grabbed my very crumpled looking poster and was over there so fast. ‘Wait, don’t go yet, you need to sign this poster, my friend stole it for me’ and he went ‘oh hello’ recognizing me from last night. I told him I enjoyed the show and I thought the Charles was a much better venue and he'd looked like he was having a lot more fun and more relaxed’ CD girl was looking on and I explained to her I’d been at the Fly By Night ‘I know I remember you’ she said (which was embarrassing as I hadn’t noticed her at all). Carl said he thought it was even better than the Basement in Sydney. And I voiced my surprise and told him I’d really wanted to see him perform there and I’d missed him by a week. I guess the Basement isn’t as intimate as the Charles.

Carl was still sucking his lollipop. Close your eyes and picture the image of him with his soft lips pursing around a little white stick and his chiseled jaw and lean cheek muscles working as he swirls the lolly around and around on his tongue. And then understand why I was staring in wonderment like Charlie in the chocolate factory. ‘Chuppa Chup’ he said meaningfully, so I said the only Chuppa Chups I like are the Strawberries and Cream. With that Carl whipped the Chuppa Chup out his mouth and held it up to me and ... you guessed it - it was a Strawberries and Cream! Oooh I swear I have never wanted a Chuppa Chup in my mouth as much as I wanted that one. It was so tempting, all creamy pink and glistening from his mouth thud I stared transfixed with desire for this Chuppa Chup for a few moments. Then finally Carl just put it back in his mouth and crunched it up and I laughed and said I always ended up doing that too. I didn't even notice friend H come over and she asked him an intelligent question that I wish I'd asked, would he ever try to play in New York. He said it was apparently very hard to get into. His manager said even Delta Goodram's manager had trouble getting her over there. I was desperate to get Honeyman's attention back to me (note to self: must blast friend severely for butting in where not wanted Rolling Eyes ) so I told him about the Blue Note Club where people can nominate a jazz artist to play there and that he was now on the list ( perth gigs - Page 5 464738 Thanks for that Monetgo!) Of course I hastily followed up this information with a pouting 'but I don't want you to go overseas, we need you here in Australia', pawing at his shoulder lecherously, but then followed that up with 'although it actually seems that you need to make it big overseas before you get recognition in Australia' and he said 'Yes! What's that about?' and I said ‘I guess it's the cultural cringe' and everyone standing around and CD girl were nodding politely, and I sensed we were starting to run out of conversation here and I wasn't interested in making conversation anyway, I just desperately wanted to linger as long as possible with Carl! I asked if he'd met anyone else from the forum and he said 'Yes, I think she said Altair' and I asked what she looked like and he said ‘blonde’, then 'no brunette' and that she was 'very shy'... Awww… wave (Don’t worry Altair, Carl is only the second celeb I’ve ever asked for a signature too, and was terrified of asking him both times! lmao). Then friend H brought up the topic of Australian Idol but Carl didn't have any opinion to offer her and CD girl joined in saying she never liked Idol but she did like Carl's music (where did she come from I wonder?) so I said Carl was 'an exception to the usual stuff that idol churns out' and 'I guess we can thank Australian Idol for giving us Carl' and he was really chuffed and said 'thank you so much' and I loved the expression on his face, sort of modest and surprised and pleased. He told CD girl she should get on the forum. I'm not sure why, maybe she had told him she really likes him or something so I gave her the URL but I doubt she'll remember it. Okay and what else did we talk about? Ah yes, even J couldn't resist getting a word in even though she was being non-participatory and standing away from us. She and H asked Carl about 'Feels So Good', something about it being the theme from a tv show or a movie, which no-one, least of all Carl, had the answer to.

Then Carl suddenly had a choking fit, blaming it on the Chuppa Chup as he spluttered and hopped about hitting his throat and coughing into a delicately curled fist. I thought I might have to give him the Heimlich manoeuvre, frantic although given our height ratio I don’t think I would have been able to lift him under his ribs, so I gave his back some gentle pats which turned into tender rubbing (ready to paw him at any opportunity cloud9 ). When he was back to breathing normally he signed my poster with 'See you at the Telethon' no name though so I guess he'd forgotten it already. No more photos, no hug, no kiss cryer and unfortunately because we left before him it means I had to turn my back to him which I swore I'd never do because my retreating butt is a ghastly sight! afraid So I hope by then he'd turned his attention to CD girl.

All I had to take home with me was a crumpled poster, a hungering for a Strawberries and Cream Chuppa Chup sweetened by Carl’s honeyed lips and the anticipation of seeing him at the Telethon the next day. fanself

Okay that's about all I can remember. I was in such a half-drunken, sleep-deprived, peppermint tea buzzed, weird state of mind that night so there are hazy bits. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything I'd regret ...

Anyway off to bed for me. Hope you enjoyed the read. Sorry it's so long.
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carlfanatic07 Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:53 am

WAHHHOOOOO- Thanks so much for that!!! Great Review!!! I wish now that I'd told him I was carlfanatic off the forum. But I was too shy, hehe. Next time he comes on the chatbox, i'm def. gonna tell him :)
carlfanatic07
carlfanatic07

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Altair Fri 10 Oct 2008, 5:52 pm

Fantastic review, Angeo. A very intertaining read! The lollipop story had me in stitches rotfl

The same guy who was the support act at the Fly by Night was there again signing CDs. Missed him twice! Was he any good Alty? CF?

He had a reasonable voice but, no, I didn't like him very much. All the songs sounded cliched and homogenous. He did eventually do one cover song and it was U2 - my most hated band rotfl

But in all fairness to guitar dude, Rob Thomas could have been the support and I would have been looking at my watch! Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift. giggle

I asked if he'd met anyone else from the forum and he said 'Yes, I think she said Altair' and I asked what she looked like and he said ‘blonde’, then 'no brunette' and that she was 'very shy'... Awww… (Don’t worry Altair, Carl is only the second celeb I’ve ever asked for a signature too, and was terrified of asking him both times! ).

Brunette and very shy ... yep, that's me to a T! rotfl

The first time I met Chris Murphy, we were all sitting at a table and then all of a sudden everyone took off and it was only Chris and I left. I nearly went into cardiac arrest! Thankfully, after a few agonising minutes, someone else came back to the table and rescued Chris. The next time we were out I actually had a really good time with Chris so there's hope for me and Carl yet giggle
Altair
Altair

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Sat 11 Oct 2008, 9:18 pm

Carl loves The Simpson and one new episode of it is playing "Feel So Good", I don't know if he watch that episode but i certainly did! Love the review Ange...and yes i can certainly understand that you just want to linger to him as much as possible......sigh....i do too...we all do.....we love you Carl!
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Sun 12 Oct 2008, 8:21 pm

reveiw from Carlfanatic

Oh my god. Carl was amazing as per usual. He sang let's fall in Love and he was sooooo good. and I was cheering sooooo loudly!!!! Overall, the show was GREAT!!! and guess what........me and my friends were on t.v.!!! because David Campbell was singing and he sang right next to us!!!! It was soooooo exciting. Then all the celebrities sat down on the stage while they finished off the donations- we managed to raise 7.5 million dollars which is excellent!!!! Then I stayed behind while they did heaps of photos, and I thought they weren't going to come down. But then I went to this place and luckily we saw celebrity by celebrity walking up the stairs to the after party I think. So we stayed there and got photos with other celebs until came......CARL!!!! Now this bit has a bitter sweet ending. So there were heaps of people going up to him and I was there waiting, until this stupid security ladie grabbed him and started taking him away to the after party. I was about to cry. As he was walking away I yelled out Carl, and he turned around and waved and smiled at me, it was soooo sweet. But I really wanted to have another photo and chat with him so it's a shame I couldn't. But overall, a great night, minus not being about to meet him again. But I was really really close!!!
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Sun 12 Oct 2008, 9:19 pm

I want to write my review but my laptop has been nabbed by my daughter playing Mathletics and all my photos and screen caps are on it. I'm having to use the linux computer. I guess I can still write my spiel though. There isn't much so don't worry!

At the Convention Centre where it was held, we wandered around stalls and the kids went to the indoor fairground. Some friends had given us backstage passes or rather 'Telethon Artist' passes. I know we should have used them but with my inscrutable partner along one one's inducement and enthusiasm to do anything daring and different becomes somewhat water-logged and besides the kids were happy at the playground. I did end up at the backstage desk though in my almost futile hunt for a bottle of water (everywhere had run out) - they took pity and gave me a bottle and in return I gave a gold coin donation (or rather 2 gold coins) in their tin Very Happy

During the long queue for the final show I remembered I hadn't set the recorder so I rang mother and friend to record it for me, which is why I have nothing! (Mum recorded wrong channel, friend's Channel 7 reception is crapulent).

Carl was absolutely gorgeous. It was wonderful hearing the warm-up while the tv was on commercials and other sections. Ashley sat at a baby grand. Dearest managed to catch my eye as I snapped away happily with the camera and uttered these words in absolute disgust ' three nights in a row?' (after just discovering that morning that I'd been to see Carl on Friday and Saturday). worried

The song was 'Let's Fall in Love'. Some of the stars on the panel (don't ask me who they were at that point) were skidding across the floor in their chairs on castors in time to the music. banana dance banana2 The audience were clapping along in time to the music and Dearheart was punching his fist into a balloon (was he envisaging Carl's head? pale )

It was over too soon and there was no time for Carl to dally as he had to get off stage for the next act Sad

We watched a few more acts although my girls were so tired. David Campbell was really something else. He was fantastic how he got the crowd going. His trumpeter had been in Carl's band at the Fly by Night. He obviously wasn't at the Charles as he would have been doing DC's opening Telethon performance. Our seats were almost at the back row of the first block in the middle and we were right on the aisle so when David Campbell comes up our side you can see the back of our heads as we clap along. Eventually all the stars came onto the stage and sat at tables for the telethon speeches and the extra $2 million courtesy of Kerry Stokes and a WA lotto winner. Carl and Ashley sat at the far end from us. So David Campbell sang another rousing number and all the celebs got up dancing and mingling. Ashley grabbed Carl's trumpet off their table and gave it to him and then Carl struggled to push through the throng to join the trumpeters in DC's band at the other end of the stage. He managed to jam with them for only few notes before the end. He then hung around with them when the confetti came down at the close of the show. And that's where he was standing when we left. I couldn't hang around star spotting with disgruntled hubs and tired kids Crying or Very sad

I'll post my pics when I get my computer back.
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reviews guys!!! And Angeo... don't worry about disgruntled hubby...he'll get over it!!!! wink3 But next time, leave him at home!!! Rolling Eyes Razz Looking forward to seeing some pics!!!!! jump3
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Thu 16 Oct 2008, 12:26 am

It's possible my friend heard 'Feels so Good' on the Simpsons... I'll have to mention that one to her as it's really bugging her now lmao And no wonder we can't bear to let Carl go hug he's so hard to get when you live in Perth! Brisbane's not much better though is it Monet?

So Altair, spill about Chris Murphy! How come you've met him at least twice by the sounds of things?

BTW I saw Courtney a few weeks ago at Warwick Grove. Took me a while to work out where I knew his face from giggle
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by monetgo Thu 16 Oct 2008, 10:16 pm

You're right Ange no good for us here in Brissie....'cause Carl is not here Crying or Very sad
monetgo
monetgo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Thu 16 Oct 2008, 11:01 pm

Or Adelaide!!! Crying or Very sad He's had just one show here back in May!!! bananasad Come back Caaaaaaaaarl!!!! frantic
ambercat
ambercat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Fri 17 Oct 2008, 1:45 am

Yes that's right. Or so we thought! But now it turns out he did a show in Adelaide tonight (yesterday to all you Easterners).
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

perth gigs - Page 5 Empty 2nd October, The Ellington, Perth

Post by Angeo Sat 03 Oct 2009, 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Had a wonderful time last night. Carl is the consumate performer and artist. cloud9

I'm uploading some pictures right now and will be back to post a review later. I saw Carlfanatic and went up to say hello. C-fan, I hope you have some photos to share as mine aren't so good as usual!
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Sat 03 Oct 2009, 1:47 pm

that's great angeo, i'm so glad he performed well. to be honest i thought he's performance may have been a bit off as he had just flown hom from LA the day before.

also glad you met carlfanatic , thats another one you can cross of your list of people you have met from the forum.

can't wait for pic's :-)
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

perth gigs - Page 5 Empty Carl at Telethon Perth 2009 Oct 3

Post by Angeo Sat 03 Oct 2009, 10:17 pm

It's just after 8pm Perth time and I'm watching Carl and his band perform on Telethon right now. He's performing The Letter and Reminiscing, two of the songs he did at the Ellington last night. I'll have to get busy and upload it to YouTube and maybe get some good screen shots of him Aaron and Ashley.
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Sun 04 Oct 2009, 9:06 pm

Thanks Amanda. Sorry to take so long everyone I’ve been trying to find some conversion software for uploading the telethon vid.

Okay so we’d been told we had a table for two near the stage but when we arrived they said we’d be sharing with two others and it was right at the corner of the stage where the grand piano took up that whole part, so no chance of getting close to Mr Riseley. My friend was outraged and said we should just take the table right in front of the microphones. I wasn’t keen as the staff were seating everyone but undeterred she went and plonked herself down at that table anyway. So I joined and needless to say the waitress had to move us on but not without a bit of resistance from us. But we gave in eventually. The other couple were at our table already and I took the chair closest to the stage. After introductions I could tell we’d have fun with this couple. The lady, Glinda was probably in her fifties and when I asked why they had come she said ‘to see Carl of course, I love him’. That was it we were buddies from then on. Her partner Alex was in his sixties and a jazz lover and he commented it was good to see so many young people coming to see jazz. I mentioned how I’d written about the Ellington to Carl’s management suggesting it for Carl when it had first opened. We had a laugh about that as they thought the club should be treating me like a VIP.

The band soon came on and swung into a jazzy number. We recognized Ashley and I thought the guitarist might be Aaron. Carl came on with ‘The Letter’ to uproarious applause. His hair looked bedraggled but still gorgeous and he was doing little hops and looking very upbeat and I was captivated. He had his whole band with him so he was just so happy and relaxed. The couple with us were ‘ooohing and aaahing’ and Alex was full of praise for Carl’s voice. The audience just loved him. Carl announced he’d had an 18 hour flight from LA the day before. When he sang his ‘favourite song, ‘Magnolia’ I was just melting in my chair. He sings it with genuine feeling, eyes closed, thinking of his baby ….. *jealous . He did ‘It’s Alright With Me’, ‘Reminiscing’, ‘Come Away With Me’ and the audience-interactive ‘Minnie the Mermaid’ . . . The first set was over so fast! I went to the ladies and on the way back stopped to say hello to Carlfanatic. Then my friend went to the ladies and came back saying ‘Carl’s sitting right outside the ladies!’ I laughed and said ‘you liar’. But nope she wasn’t. She told me some young girls in the toilets had been freaking out ‘Carl’s right outside! Oh my god, oh my god, he’s just sitting outside the ladies!’ haha, I love it.

Anyway we decided to lean on the bar for a bit and the band came back on. My friend did her ‘Carl’s right behind you’ routine and I said my usual ‘you liar’ but sure enough Carl had propped himself at the corner of the bar watching his band and people were seemingly unaware or were pretending to be. Except for me of course, I openly ogled him (if my eyes were lasers he’d have holes in him). Then he moved and sat at a table just behind ours. I don’t know if he knew those people but they were pretty cool about it. I decided it was time to return to my seat and when I pointed Carl out to Glinda and Alex they got his attention and were calling him over and I joined in, patting my friend’s empty chair and giving him my ‘come hither finger-wiggle’ but he was politely declining, seemingly giving his attention to just enjoying the band while the people he was with gave me contemptuous looks. Finally he moved to the empty chair next to Alex who was quick to compliment Carl and his band and make introductions. When he introduced me he totally put me on the spot telling Carl I was probably responsible for him being at the Ellington. So forced into an explanation I started to speak but at that moment my friend, with her usual knack of ruining my Carl moments, decided to return and interrupt telling Carl he’d nabbed her seat. So I tried to speak again - but she somehow managed to cut me off again - after that I don’t think Carl was particularly interested as his attention was back on the band but I had my pride so I just quickly got through it saying I’d emailed Danae about the club. He gave a very polite, pleased response . . . and then things got a bit strange . . . he continued to sit there silently, watching the band and I realised I was just leaning on the back of my chair, ignoring the band, with my chin on my hands and just staring at him with a gooey expression on my face. I could see those people at the other table looking at me like I was a freak, so I said to him that I didn’t want to be rude but I had to turn my back on him to watch the band, but he wasn’t paying any attention to me anyway. Carlfanatic and most of the audience were still oblivious to the fact Carl was sitting with us. When finally C-fan looked over I gleefully caught her eye secretly pointing at Carl next to me and she grinned back. I’m such a kid! I really need to grow up. Alex then had to swap seats with a young guy from another table who was desperate to speak to Carl. It turned out he was an aspiring and up and coming jazz saxophonist, Chris, celebrating his 20th birthday. Later Carl announced this on stage and sang him happy birthday, very sexily I might add. Then Aaron sang happy birthday to someone else in the audience . . he has a fantastic voice! The crowd went wild! Carl is so generous allowing his talented band members like Aaron and Ashley a shot at the spotlight. Carl shared his love of New Orleans with the audience, telling us about Preservation Hall and the traditional acoustic jazz style and then they proceeded to go ‘off-mic’, Carl and Ashley sitting down and playing and singing in the style and it sounded great and everyone loved it. He even managed to dance with some of the audience despite lack of any dancing space, including Glinda who was over the moon. Carl had a bit of a show-off on the drums and of course everyone just thought it was wonderful although he was so modest about it, doing his military style drumming. I was hugely impressed but if he’d taken out a rubber band and twanged it I’d have given him a standing ovation.

When the show ended, Carl was signing in the upstairs lounge. A girl had been going around the tables selling CDs and I bought another one to get signed, but I needed a drink first. Eventually we headed up and saw Alex and Glinda on their way down. Glinda was all aglow as she’d given Carl a kiss on the cheek. I joked that I’d aim for the lips - hehe. Anyhow upstairs Carl was surrounded and I recognized that tour manager of his. We circled around the upstairs rooms and I got chatting to a couple of people whilst waiting for Carl whose back was to me. My friend positioned herself near Carl and wound up talking to two guys. When I saw the last fan moving off I moved in. He politely said hello and asked me my name. I gave him a massive hug and I don’t know how I managed to let go but I did, long enough for him to sign my CD. I said to my friend ‘see I told you he wouldn’t remember us’ and he said ‘yes I do, I sat next to you downstairs’ and I laughed and said I meant from last year. I said, ‘Anyway, Amanda-Renee sent me a text to say hello for her . . . and to give you a kiss . . .’ (that part was a lie) ‘. . . on the lips . . .’ (really lying my ass off there) the girl selling CDs laughed her head off and I said ‘well it was worth a try!’ Carl was all ‘Oh so what’s your forum name?’ Then it was hugs again as he recognized me and he signed inside the CD ‘Angeo you’re the best’, not that I actually looked at it right then, I was just doing my puppy-dog gazing up at him again. I thanked him for singing my favourite Magnolia, asked him about his writing and if we’d hear any of his originals on an album and we chatted about his record company ultimately deciding on the songs and he mentioned he’d do something a bit more commercial for the next one. I said that would be great as I’d love to hear him played on the radio. Then the men I spoke to earlier very sweetly decided to take a photo of us but the guy was pretty hopeless with his friend’s phone. So I went and grabbed my camera and he managed to get a decent snap of us which I’m posting here. We’ve both got such idiotically serene smiles I thought I’d spice up the pic with what’s really going on in our heads, haha. Carl had to go so I gave him one last hug, told him to come back on the forum soon and got to give him a kiss on the cheek. It was a fun night. I just wish he’d been able to do more gigs here in Perth. I’ve finally uploaded the telethon so I’ll put it on here now! Thanks for persevering through my long review, you all know what I’m like by now.

perth gigs - Page 5 RIMG1094-2-1
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

perth gigs - Page 5 Empty Carl at Telethon Perth Oct 4 2009 Closing Ceremony

Post by Angeo Thu 08 Oct 2009, 1:40 am

View Carl and his band's 'smokin' performance at the Perth Telethon Closing ceremony here:

https://carlriseley.forumotion.com/miscellaneous-f2/carl-at-telethon-perth-oct-3-2009-t839.htm#10314
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carlfanatic07 Sat 10 Oct 2009, 9:17 pm

Yes, Agreed! It was wonderful!! Sorry I haven't been on yet- the forum hasn't been working for me until today. I also enjoyed all the songs and got to meet him at the end as well- he was as nice as ever!!! I've got exams at the moment, so if I don't make it to the chat anyone who remembers please say Hi for me and that I loved the concert (And I also went to the Telethon closing as well!!)
carlfanatic07
carlfanatic07

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by amanda-renee Sun 11 Oct 2009, 12:50 am

fantastic reveiw angeo thouroughly enjoyed it, tonight has been a great night all around.
i had my high school reunion tonight and some of my old school friends actually believed that me and Carl were boyfriend and girlfriend because of my photos on facebook. hehe, needless to say though i did set them all strieght and say that he asn't my boyfriend but whoa if he was LOL.
anyway thanks angeo for saying hi for me love you fo doing that.
amanda-renee
amanda-renee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Tue 13 Oct 2009, 12:46 am

haha, yes I saw your twitter about that Amanda although I haven't seen your facebook, I must check that out. Hey glad you appreciate me saying hello for you. But you realise he might believe my lie that you asked me to kiss him on the lips for you naughty naughty Amanda!

I'll be sure to say hi for you C-fan. I hope I can make it. 5pm is not the ideal time for online chats. Good luck with your exams.
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Angeo Mon 30 Aug 2010, 12:52 am

The Perth Telethon is on late this year. November 13th & 14th. I hope Carl and his band can make it.
Angeo
Angeo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5